Skip to Content Skip to Menu

[SOLVED] GoogleMaps component/plugin

• gammachi
  • gammachi
17 years 8 months ago #29729 by gammachi
[SOLVED] GoogleMaps component/plugin was created by gammachi
Has anyone figured out how to get this component to display markers for the CB users (or if it even does that automatically?)

i've gotten the basic map to show up but i can't get it to put markers for any users...

also, if i just want a single map showing my users, do i even need the plugin?

thanks

EDIT: For those that are curious, the trick is to make sure to NOT turn on Automatically Geocode in the Advanced settings. Then all you have to do is update your profile (each user must update their profile) though you don't need to actually change anything. THen the geocoder fills in the Lat and Lon. THen u must rebuild your XML file and things should start showing up. I'm so happy now this thing is sweet.

Post edited by: gammachi, at: 2007/01/24 03:23

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• mediaguru
  • mediaguru
17 years 8 months ago #30369 by mediaguru
Replied by mediaguru on topic Re:[SOLVED] GoogleMaps component/plugin
I've been messing with this for a while. The only one I get to show up is one I manually inputted in the backend of the component.

What do you fill in to the parrameters on the plug in? What "column" do you fill in?

Can you go over your whole config?

CB/Joomla golf site: www.thegolfspace.com
Geek/joomla site: www.tkserver.com

Check out my Joomla/CB projects:

* LIKE thumbs up system for "liking" content items
* Karma - CB user rating system
* Golf Score Tracker
* Jitter - status update system. "What's on your mind?"
* CB Author Plug - Shows CB author link and avatar in content items. J1.5 compatible and very customizable!

Found on my web site or in the Joomlapolis Directory !

• mediaguru
  • mediaguru
17 years 8 months ago #30391 by mediaguru
Oh one other thing...

What version of the com are you using and what version of the plug?

* Golf Score Tracker
* CB Author Plug - Shows CB author link and avatar in content items. J1.5 compatible and very customizable!

• gammachi
  • gammachi
17 years 8 months ago #30392 by gammachi
Replied by gammachi on topic Re:[SOLVED] GoogleMaps component/plugin
hi sorry i haven't responded... i am too swamped at work right now... quick info i'm using whatever the most current version is (according the the Forge site)...
i'll try to answer with more details this weekend or next week (sorry)... but one quick tip...
for those fields in the plugin... each field should match the name of the field listed in your CB profile... it correlates the two.. so if you go into your CB menu (in the admin backend) and select i think field management... it lists all the fields... look for the name as it is stored in the database (i think it's in grey in the second column... hard to say off the top of my head)... for example, i think usually address is something like cb_address... but if may be different if you changed anything... plug the appropriate names into those fields in teh Google plugin...

see if anything shows up in the XML file... it helps to bookmark the link to both view the xml file and refresh it so you can see if the backend/ logic of the component is working or if it's the front end....

one other tip... it only autogeocodes when you "update" an existing profile... so if you have existing users, they have to login and click "update" before the plugin actually does anything.

hope that helps for now... good luck... it's a pain but it's worth it... users Love it

• mediaguru
  • mediaguru
17 years 8 months ago #30394 by mediaguru
Excellent. Ok I must be close. The xml file is now being updated when users update their profiles.

SO now my map is blank. How do I get them to show up on the map?

* Golf Score Tracker

• gammachi
  • gammachi
17 years 8 months ago #30396 by gammachi
Replied by gammachi on topic Re:[SOLVED] GoogleMaps component/plugin
this one may be more difficult... you may just need to rebuild/refresh the XML file (there's a link in the GoogleMaps config) then reload the map page

also, (thought technically i don't think you need this) modify the link to the map and add category=-3 (this is the magic CB users category)... if you want to show other locations as well you'll have to play with this setting more carefully...

do you have a link to your site... (i;m not promising i'll be able to do much till next week but others might be able to help)

Moderators: beatnantkrileon