Skip to Content Skip to Menu

Mutliple Profiles

13 years 8 months ago - 13 years 8 months ago #153630 by connor9220
Mutliple Profiles was created by connor9220
Hey Everyone, Not sure if this is the best place to post this.. but, here goes.

I've built a community website ( www.delightfullydog.com ) which is a rather extensive. We're using a 3rd party addon called Community Builder Profile Pro because we have different profile. (Pets, Pet Parents, Shelter/Rescue, and Memorials). The idea was, they can come in, and create different profiles for each pet (Both Live, and Passed Away) and a Pet Parent profile.

What I've done so far is, disable the email check, so that they can create multiple profiles.. however, the users are having a hard time understanding what to do exactly.. What I would like to do is.. somehow, Make it so they create a profile.. it becomes the "Master Profile" and then they can add additional profiles. The reason? Each profile gets it's own blog, community connections (we've re-branded as PAWpawls), and Internal mail (PAWmail).

What I'm thinking is, disable the check to see if your already logged in, giving them the ability to create additional accounts without having to log out. Have a extra table, that links the ID's together, and modify the login module so they can switch between profiles. (I.E, Login and Out) When they register the new profile, it uses the same email address. What I'm not sure about is what it would take to do this, and I'm not sure about the usernames. I'm not sure the user would understand the need for different usernames, but, depending on the account type, we display the username and/or the real name (username & real name for pets and the memorials, only username for pet parents, not sure about the shelter/rescues..) Also, we use the twitter and cbconnet modules, I think those would probably need to be "turned off" for the addon profiles.. Anyway... I hope I've described this enough for everyone to follow what I'm trying to do. Any ideas, or thoughts on what is needed to do this, and how much code would need to be changed?

Thanks, Connor
Last edit: 13 years 8 months ago by connor9220.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• krileon
  • krileon
13 years 8 months ago #153653 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re: Mutliple Profiles

What I've done so far is, disable the email check, so that they can create multiple profiles.. however, the users are having a hard time understanding what to do exactly.. What I would like to do is.. somehow, Make it so they create a profile.. it becomes the "Master Profile" and then they can add additional profiles. The reason? Each profile gets it's own blog, community connections (we've re-branded as PAWpawls), and Internal mail (PAWmail).

Can't be done; the reason is Joomla and CB alike require unique ID, Username, and Email. No 2 can be alike; ever. So each time the user re-registers for a new profile they would need to use a different username and a different email then the last profile.

Best approach is to probably use a directory extension like mostree or something to store custom profiles of pets or create a new CB plugin which allows storing a list of pets and their information on the users profile directory. A single user with multiple profiles just is not possible due to CMS limitations.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

13 years 8 months ago #153661 by connor9220
Replied by connor9220 on topic Re: Mutliple Profiles

krileon wrote: Can't be done; the reason is Joomla and CB alike require unique ID, Username, and Email. No 2 can be alike; ever. So each time the user re-registers for a new profile they would need to use a different username and a different email then the last profile.

Best approach is to probably use a directory extension like mostree or something to store custom profiles of pets or create a new CB plugin which allows storing a list of pets and their information on the users profile directory. A single user with multiple profiles just is not possible due to CMS limitations.

That's not 100% true.. I realize that the username must be unique... The email address doesn't.. and I've already fixed that. Users can now create multiple profiles using the same email address. I guess I'll just have to play with the code some and see. What files control the registration process for CB? (I'm not using the stock Joomla registration.)..

• krileon
  • krileon
13 years 8 months ago #153671 by krileon

What files control the registration process for CB? (I'm not using the stock Joomla registration.)..

Many, we've no actual registration API. We use direct table manipulation in the cb.tables.php library. Messing with this file can be dangerous to your installation and I do not advise it.

Again, CB and Joomla are designed for unique ID, Username, and Email; whether you hack the core or not makes no difference; that does not mean Joomla or CB support this and WILL cause problems with extensions.. as to which I can't say, but do know it likely won't behave well at all with CBSubs or even many of the plugins provided for CB.

Anyway, you're welcome to make any core edits you wish, but doing so at ones own risk. We can not provide support, any at all, once core edits are in place.

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

13 years 8 months ago #153705 by connor9220
Replied by connor9220 on topic Re: Mutliple Profiles
I'm not afraid of messing stuff up.. I've been doing web development since 1996. I was simply looking for what files would need to be tweaked and such.. for example, I'm having a hard time tracking down what throws the "Your not authorized to see this page" if you by-pass this call in comprofiler.php in the registerForm function:

if ( $_CB_framework->myId() ) {
echo '<div class="error">' . _UE_ALREADY_LOGGED_IN . '</div>';
return;
}

I've by-passed that.. and that gives me the registration page, but, now, the ajax username check, gets a "Your not able to view this page" message, and you also get that if you submit your new registration.. Again, I realize this isn't supported.. However, any help on pointing me in the right direction would be helpful. Truthfully, this is my goal. Allow someone to register another account while they're still logged in. The Registration wouldn't have the email address field, or password field, it would simply copy the email address and the password hash for the current profile. It would also make a entry into a new table to show a relation on the new user id vs the old (in this case the master). Then, all that's needed is a simple module that shows the user all his accounts and allows him to switch among them without issue. In the end, the only thing that truely be "shared" between the accounts is the email, which, I have working already.

Thanks, Connor

• krileon
  • krileon
13 years 8 months ago #153744 by krileon
You've several locations to check. You're going to need to disable internal securities to get what you're wanting, which is going to compromise your install. With the warnings out of the way you'll need to review the below.

IN: components/com_comprofiler/comprofiler.php
ON: Lines 943-948
Not possible to show lines of code due to security error on Joomlapolis.

Very likely need to review other checks, but this is a start. Again, CB is not designed as you're wanting from the ground up; there's no telling what additional checks are made.

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--

Moderators: beatnantkrileon