Skip to Content Skip to Menu

[#2488] Field manager ordering is completely messed up

• justmebg
  • justmebg
13 years 6 months ago - 13 years 6 months ago #160858 by justmebg
My Field Manager is completely screwed up, and it is impossible to reorder the fields on the tabs. I have to do crazy amounts of manual work any time I want to shift something around, and there just HAS to be a better way than this. How the heck do I get this thing to order the fields correctly by tab??

I've looked through the forums and the only answers I can find for this are something like 2 years old. I am running the PHP5+, so that shouldn't be the issue.

Beth G
Attachments:
Last edit: 13 years 6 months ago by krileon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• krileon
  • krileon
13 years 6 months ago #160907 by krileon
No idea how that could happen, please PM backend login credentials and will take a look. Something has caused the field order to mess up.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

• krileon
  • krileon
13 years 6 months ago #161034 by krileon
Seams to only occur when multiple fields have the same ordering. Setting a few negative has resolved the issue. Please review and adjust as necessary. Even using the same ordering won't cause any problems as they'll just appear in that order on the management page; they're still specific to their respective tabs.

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

• justmebg
  • justmebg
13 years 6 months ago #161041 by justmebg

Even using the same ordering won't cause any problems as they'll just appear in that order on the management page; they're still specific to their respective tabs.

It actually causes a significant problem in that it makes it impossible to reorder the fields within a tab without retyping in all the numbers. I don't understand why the negative numbers are even necessary, this should be capable of ordering fields within a tab from 1 to n without getting scrambled. The field ordering randomly goes wonky when I add a new field, it does not always pick up the next number. Once one gets messed up, it's a cascade effect and it very time consuming and annoying to have to fix.

This is one of those seemingly minor things that can cause a serious headache for administrators in real life management of a large site.

Beth G

• krileon
  • krileon
13 years 6 months ago #161097 by krileon
I've no idea, never had this happen to me personally. Seams to be the query is not understanding how to handle the ordering. It's supposed to order by Tab first then by Ordering. However yours appears to ignore the Tab order when Ordering of fields is same/similar. Query seams unchanged from previous releases as the ordering is as follows.
Code:
ORDER BY t.ordering, f.ordering

At any rate is a cosmetic issue for administrator and does not negatively impact ordering. I've made a bug ticket for further review to see if the query can be enhanced a bit more to stop this from happening.

Current workaround is to use negative numbers instead of positive.

forge.joomlapolis.com/issues/2488

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--

• justmebg
  • justmebg
13 years 6 months ago #161142 by justmebg

At any rate is a cosmetic issue for administrator and does not negatively impact ordering. I've made a bug ticket for further review to see if the query can be enhanced a bit more to stop this from happening.

Thanks for logging a bug ticket.

However, I don't think you are listening to me about the fact that it is more than a cosmetic issue. Look at the screenshot again and notice that the little arrows to move fields up and down are missing. These only appear when the fields are sequentially ordered by tab. So when this happens and everything goes haywire and I want to move a field up or down, I have to manually figure out how to reorder everything by typing in new order numbers. It's not difficult, it's tedious and time consuming, and entirely annoying to have to keep spending time on it when it's such a small issue that gets in the way. It's one of those things that should just work. I don't want to have to mess around this much just to get a field to move up one space.

Hopefully they will be able to figure out why it does this. It would be nice to lose the negative numbers entirely, I'm still not clear at all why these are necessary. I've never seen ordering in any other Joomla component that needs negative numbers.

Beth G

Moderators: beatnantkrileon