Skip to Content Skip to Menu

Facebook tab or canvas integration

• activha
  • activha
12 years 10 months ago #184571 by activha
Facebook tab or canvas integration was created by activha
Hi
We are moving to show the website on Facebook so that people can see and use their CB profiles on Facebook.

CB connect seems to work ok but there is no way to link to a tab or a canvas page.

Could you recommend a third party component that would work ok with CB for this ? we were thinking at JFBconnect or MyApi ? or any other else that you may know ?

We just want Facebook users to display and use their CB profiles on Facebook

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• krileon
  • krileon
12 years 10 months ago #184597 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re: Facebook tab or canvas integration
Edit your Facebook application and set the canvas URL to your Joomla homepage. It should load right in as an iframe normally. You don't need any special extension to run as a canvas page.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

• activha
  • activha
12 years 10 months ago #185211 by activha
Replied by activha on topic Re: Facebook tab or canvas integration
Thanks Kyle,

We use CB connect and we need to find out the Facebook id of the Facebook page in order to show the correct profile in the iframe.
I mean that we would like to look at the Facebook page, find out the id, check if the id is registered at our website, if yes show the correct CB profile, and if not show a default one or a default page.

Is it feasible only with CB tools ? any ideas ?

• krileon
  • krileon
12 years 10 months ago #185243 by krileon
Hmm, you'll need a landing page on your site. Some sort of PHP file that checks the FBML returned Facebook ID against one in the database and if one is found send them to the appropriate profile page. For what you're wanting you'll need to custom develop the landing page. CB Connect has the PHP API to retrieve the CB user_id based off Facebook ID though, see the plugin.cbconnect.php file (function getUser of Facebooks class).

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

• activha
  • activha
12 years 10 months ago #185248 by activha
Replied by activha on topic Re: Facebook tab or canvas integration
I understand. Can you tell me two things ?

- how to access the function from a blank page (I am really not a programmer :-( !) ?

- how to retrieve a Facebook page id from a Facebook user id ? if this is possible ?
(can CBconnect extend permissions to get pages id and store it somewhere ?)

• krileon
  • krileon
12 years 10 months ago #185256 by krileon

- how to access the function from a blank page (I am really not a programmer !) ?

Outside of Joomla, you can't. You'd need to use strictly PHP (no Joomla API) and perform a DB query.

- how to retrieve a Facebook page id from a Facebook user id ? if this is possible ?
(can CBconnect extend permissions to get pages id and store it somewhere ?)

In PHP, you can't. Not without Facebook settings the cookie, validating it, and parsing it for the users id. I've no idea if canvas pages supply this. I know you could get it through JS, but getting it from JS to PHP is the painful part as there's no secure way to do it without the signed cookie from Facebook. CB Connect for example utilizes said cookie, which is set upon login. There's API in CB Connect to also retrieve the ID from the cookie (see cbconnect.class.php).

What you're wanting isn't as simple as I'd originally thought. Showing your website inside of an iframe as canvas is as easy as 1-2 parameters in your app, but you're wanting integration with Facebook directly from your canvas and a Joomla site is just not setup for that. You really need to custom develop a landing page that handles all your canvas page goodies, completely separate from Joomla. I know extensions exist to make your Joomla site mobile friendly.. maybe one exists to make it Facebook canvas friendly?

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--

Moderators: beatnantkrileon