Skip to Content Skip to Menu

CB Blogs 3.0

• raniko
  • raniko
12 years 6 months ago #196820 by raniko
CB Blogs 3.0 was created by raniko
Hi. I just downloaded this and it seems to be working great (although only Default Template works for some reason).

My question is, can I have multiple blog tabs somehow? I'd like to have different users be able to post to different assigned categories and access levels... Is this doable now and if not, possibly for another release?

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• krileon
  • krileon
12 years 6 months ago #196854 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re: CB Blogs 3.0

Hi. I just downloaded this and it seems to be working great (although only Default Template works for some reason).

All the templates work, but the color changes are pretty minimal.

My question is, can I have multiple blog tabs somehow?

No.

I'd like to have different users be able to post to different assigned categories and access levels... Is this doable now and if not, possibly for another release?

Blog categories are the sub-categories of the blog section. All of which is controlled directly in Joomlas content manager. That being said you can adjust the accesslevels on those categories and it'll be respected.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

• raniko
  • raniko
12 years 6 months ago #198552 by raniko
Replied by raniko on topic Re: CB Blogs 3.0
Okay. Thanks for the feedback below. Is it possible to control just the write access level for blogs but still allow viewing of the articles by others? To provide an example, lets say that I have teachers that I would like to be able to post blogs to "Test Review" and "Project Review" categories and students that can post to "Test Discussions" and "Project Discussions". Additionally, I'd like all 4 categoris to be viewable by bot Teachers and Students. Is this possible? It looks like the Blogs component is all or nothing.

Interestingly, the "articles" tab displays articles to both teachers and students regardless of the Joomla Content parameters. If the above is not possible, can I use the blogs component for input only and use the articles tab for display? Doubt it, but figured I'd ask.

Many thanks.

• krileon
  • krileon
12 years 6 months ago #198554 by krileon

Is it possible to control just the write access level for blogs but still allow viewing of the articles by others?

No, it imposes no access restrictions other then those applied by Joomla directly. Meaning if the category is set to Registered then only registered can view and create blogs in it.

Interestingly, the "articles" tab displays articles to both teachers and students regardless of the Joomla Content parameters.

CB Articles? CB Articles also respects access permissions. CB Articles from backend can also be configured to exclude display of categories.

If the above is not possible, can I use the blogs component for input only and use the articles tab for display?

Nope, because the articles table also respects access permissions.

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

• raniko
  • raniko
12 years 6 months ago #198571 by raniko
Replied by raniko on topic Re: CB Blogs 3.0
Hmmm. Okay, this is interesting. I just created a new menu link that connects to the "New Blog" url in cb blogs. I restricted access (via Joommla) to the 2 groups so that they only have access to the correct categories via the dropdown in the editor.

I left CB Articles alone and it appears that all groups have read access to all articles via cb articles when viewing the profile of a member of a different group. It doesn't sound (based on the below) like that is the intended functionality, but it is definitely working for some reason. I am allowing all access to the categories in CB Articles backend, which may be overriding the Joomla restriction?

I'm using joomla 2.5.4, CB 1.8, blogs 3.0.2 and articles 2.2.1.

Is there any reason that I should not continue to implement this sttategy, ie bugs etc.?

Thanks again.

• krileon
  • krileon
12 years 6 months ago #198573 by krileon
Looks like a bug in CB Articles. Appears JHtml::_( 'category.options', 'com_content' ) doesn't include permissions checking anymore or something of the sort. Will review for next release.

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--

Moderators: beatnantkrileon