Skip to Content Skip to Menu

Notifications icon

5 years 11 months ago #308364 by jeroen aalders
Notifications icon was created by jeroen aalders
I cannot get the notifications icon to work. It always shows 'No notifications to display.', even when there are messages in the inbox and outbox.

The user's activity also does not show any messaging or emails.

I have enabled all system autoactions, for notifications etc.

I have been through all the configurations of uddeIM PMS component, CB notifications, system autoactions etc. and can find nothing wrong.

I am working in a staging version, so I have sent messages to various test users but, when logged in as them, I get the same 'No notifications to display.' result.

Can you please help me to find what I am doing wrong, here. I can supply any further information that you require, if you ask me.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• krileon
  • krileon
5 years 11 months ago #308385 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Notifications icon
There's no system action in CB Auto Actions to log a notification for receiving a PM. You will have to create an auto action to log the notification your self. Have added a feature ticket to add a new system action to CB Auto Actions to log a notification for new PMs. Notifications in UddeIM are entirely email based.

forge.joomlapolis.com/issues/7336

Note it's likely this will not work with UddeIM and will only apply to the new Internal model.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

5 years 11 months ago #308405 by jeroen aalders
Replied by jeroen aalders on topic Notifications icon
Thanks for your reply, Krileon but, unfortunately, this not only doesn't solve the problem but, also, is unclear to me.

So, let's say that there are two users, x & y and x sends a PM to y. Then, y can go to user x's profile (or indeed to any other user's profile), where there is a CB Menu item called 'Messages'.

One of the sub-menu items is 'Show Private Messages'. If y goes there, they get a 'Compose' dialogue but also above it, a menu with items ''Inbox', 'Outbox' 'Trashcan, 'Contacts'. 'Compose' and 'Forum'. Clicking on 'Inbox' shows a list of messages, which would include the message that y had sent.

However, this would be a very user-unfriendly way of determining if messages had been received and what those messages are. As some part of CB does know that a message has been received, there must be some way of using an autoaction to hook into this event.

How else would this work? Is there no way, other to that described, above, for a user to see that they have received a message and to go directly to their inbox? These messages don't even seem to go into the Activity timeline unless I'm missing something.

• krileon
  • krileon
5 years 11 months ago #308410 by krileon
You can enable a new message notification within your CB Login Module. This will show directly under the logout button. You can also use CB Workflows module, which can display a new message notification. Additionally the latest CB build release includes an icon on the menu bar above the users profile that indicates if you have a new message or not (it'll be blue with a number next to it for number of unread messages). You can also just create a Joomla menu item to UddeIM inbox so they can simply 1 click navigate to their messages; same applies if using the new Internal model.

CB doesn't know a message was received when using UddeIM. It's just querying the database for unread messages. There's nothing for CB Auto Actions to hook into. There is if you're using the new Internal model built into our Private Message System plugin shown below, but there's no system actions for logging CB Activity notifications yet as that functionality was just released.

www.joomlapolis.com/news/18814-community-builder-private-messaging-is-here

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mikerotec

• mikerotec
  • mikerotec
5 years 11 months ago - 5 years 11 months ago #308422 by mikerotec
Replied by mikerotec on topic Notifications icon

krileon wrote: ...You can also use CB Workflows module, which can display a new message notification. ..

Can you explain how to do that? I was looking for the docs on CB Workflow, but I do not see them anywhere handy ( IE - not on www.joomlapolis.com/documentation )
Last edit: 5 years 11 months ago by mikerotec.

• krileon
  • krileon
5 years 11 months ago #308435 by krileon
Edit your CB Workflows module within Extensions > Modules then simply adjust the "Private Message Notifications" parameter. If you don't have a CB Workflows module then create a new module of CB Workflows type within Extensions > Modules. As the module is included with CB, non-optional, it should exist as at least an available module type.

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--

Moderators: beatnantkrileon