Skip to Content Skip to Menu

Users Getting or Remaining Blocked After Confirmation

• bascherz
  • bascherz
3 years 8 months ago #322971 by bascherz
This one has me stumped. I have no auto actions or any code anywhere on my site that blocks anyone for any reason. Yet it seems to occur several times a week (we have over 15,000 users now and gaining a hundred or so per day) that a user will end up blocked (not enabled) yet confirmed. We do not require moderator approval, so once confirmed each new user should be confirmed, approved, and enabled.

What can cause this since I am certain it is nothing I have coded to happen?

Thanks in advance.

Bruce S - Vienna, VA

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• krileon
  • krileon
3 years 8 months ago #323010 by krileon
We had this happen with 1 new registration recently. We're not sure of the cause yet. At this time I'm speculating a fatal error occurred at the time of registration. If possible can you check server error logs around the time they registered?

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

• bascherz
  • bascherz
3 years 8 months ago #323012 by bascherz
Not an easy thing you ask as the error_log file exceeds 250MB in size on a daily basis due to some issues with Fabrik, JCE, and some other extensions. When I filter out those recurring notices and warnings, there is nothing left implicating CB. That said, I really don't know when this is happening. But it hasn't happened in a couple days.

I have been posting a few CB-related messages on here over the past week or two, precisely because there are some strange things going on in the database that nothing I've installed or written for this site explains. Well, also because I figure you need to know what's going on with busy sites.

I will delete the error_log and keep an eye on it and will post anything out of the ordinary here.

An interesting side note: I run 3 or 4 auto actions onAfterUserConfirm and from what I could tell, they all worked for the people whose profiles show confirm=1, block=1, and cbactivation NOT NULL. So that event is triggering and my AA's are executing, but I would have thought those built-in values would be in the opposite state by the time that event triggered.

Bruce S - Vienna, VA

• krileon
  • krileon
3 years 8 months ago #323013 by krileon
We saw this happen before CB 2.5 even released with out 1 incident so it's not CB 2.5 that'd be causing this and releases before it didn't touch registration or user object. Wonder if it's an issue being caused by recent Joomla release somehow.

An interesting side note: I run 3 or 4 auto actions onAfterUserConfirm and from what I could tell, they all worked for the people whose profiles show confirm=1, block=1, and cbactivation NOT NULL. So that event is triggering and my AA's are executing, but I would have thought those built-in values would be in the opposite state by the time that event triggered.

In our case the user was confirmed, but required moderator approval which didn't make any sense since we don't have moderator approval enabled.

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

• bascherz
  • bascherz
3 years 8 months ago - 3 years 8 months ago #323029 by bascherz
Here's today's situation with this:

The cb_dateconfirmed date is recorded by one of my Auto Actions, so that's proof they are executing. This also gives you an idea of how frequently this happens. Just thought showing this would give credibility to my claim since I have a tendency to post things that end up being my fault.

And, since the AA's are obviously working, I am going to write one that sets block=0 onAfterUserConfirm. Hopefully, that will be an adequate workaround.

Bruce S - Vienna, VA
Last edit: 3 years 8 months ago by bascherz.

• krileon
  • krileon
3 years 8 months ago #323032 by krileon
Is that strictly the _comprofiler database table? If so something is wrong with your database. The block column does not exist in _comprofiler. It belongs to Joomla in _users. If the block column really does exist in _comprofiler then please delete it.

We couldn't find any issues in the confirmation or registration code. Our single instance of this happening turned out to be a misclick.

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--

Moderators: beatnantkrileon