Skip to Content Skip to Menu

Struggling to set up combination of plans

• wallyhowe
  • wallyhowe
8 years 10 months ago #274624 by wallyhowe
I have bought CBSubs to evaluate it within the 30 days returns policy to see if it fits the needs of our Tennis & Squash Club.

We use CB for membership records coupled with an invoicing system for subscriptions. We wish to change to member self service subscription & renewal and would like it if CBSubs fills the requirements.

The basic requirements (simplified by omitting 10 youth categories and social membership) are:

Both tennis and squash have a heirarchy of (1 year) memberships - Off Peak, full. An off-peak member can upgrade to full membership (which is more expensive)at any time. A full member cannot downgrade to off peak except at expiry of the year. Once upgraded to full the off-peak membership is redundant (and should not appear in 'your subscriptions'). Tennis subscriptions are therefore exclusive within tennis so only 1 can apply, as are squash subscriptions within squash.

Squash and tennis seasons start 6 months apart. So for an off-peak tennis player the upgrade options are Full tennis and/or Off peak squash or Full squash. Similarly for an off peak squash player. The options for a full tennis player are Off peak squash or full squash.

If a full tennis member adds full squash a 15% discount applies. Similarly for full squash adding full tennis. There are no discounts for any off peak memberships.

(There is also a family membership requirement but that is down the road - I need to get the basics right first.)

That is the background. I have read and re-read the documentation, scoured the forums and been trying every set up I can think of without managing to achieve the above. The set up I have tried are:

Setup 1
Off peak and full each set to top level - exclusive. For full, off-peak not allowed and vice versa.
Issue: If one is selected on the registration page the other disappears from view but there is no way to uncheck the radio box to brihg the other one back into view in the event the wrong one was selected.

Setup 2
Off peak and full each set to top level - non exclusive.
For full, off-peak not allowed and vice versa. In off peak, upgrade allowed except if full squash active.
Issue: Radio buttons work as required, other plan disappears but can unclick and both reappear. If subscribe to full the off peak does not appear as an upgrade option. So far so good!
However, when a member upgrades from off peak to peak in a sport the residual value is not invoked and the full amount is payable.

So it appears that for upgrades to operate with residual values plans must be linked via a parent (logical).

Setup 3
In tennis the off peak is set as parent and full as child. For squash the full is set as parent and off peak as child.
Issue: The plans cannot be configured as required. Only full squash with off line tennis is allowed as a combination. I.e the two ones marked as top for parent. Also a child on its own cannot be selected - on clicking the radio button the plan disappears. On proceeding with the sign up it allows sign up without a plan. (Not wanted but will park that for now).

Setup 4
Set up a free plan for a parent of each sport set as automatically selected. So 2 new plans: Squash, Tennis. In Tennis have off peak and full both with Tennis as the parent. Same for Squash (it was not possible to have full hanging off Squash and off peak with Full as the parent.)
Issue: All combinations can be selected. However, if an off peak subscription is chosen then on the profile the full member upgrade does not appear as an option. Also, for the other sport only the top level free option appears and when clicked nothing shows in the upgrade space where the plan should be.

I am at a loss now having spent several days experimenting. Can you help to get me past this first hurdle please?

Wallyhowe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• nant
  • nant
8 years 10 months ago #274627 by nant
Please see comments below ...

wallyhowe wrote: I have bought CBSubs to evaluate it within the 30 days returns policy to see if it fits the needs of our Tennis & Squash Club.

Great!

We use CB for membership records coupled with an invoicing system for subscriptions. We wish to change to member self service subscription & renewal and would like it if CBSubs fills the requirements.

ok

The basic requirements (simplified by omitting 10 youth categories and social membership) are:

Both tennis and squash have a heirarchy of (1 year) memberships - Off Peak, full. An off-peak member can upgrade to full membership (which is more expensive)at any time. A full member cannot downgrade to off peak except at expiry of the year. Once upgraded to full the off-peak membership is redundant (and should not appear in 'your subscriptions'). Tennis subscriptions are therefore exclusive within tennis so only 1 can apply, as are squash subscriptions within squash.

I am assuming from this description so far that off peak and full represent different privileges withing a subscription period. Guessing off peak means certain hours of the day or even certain days in the week.

I am also assuming that the yearly subscriptions are calendar based. So they always have a specific calendar start date.

Squash and tennis seasons start 6 months apart.

Means that the tennis plan has a different calendar start date from the squash plan.

So for an off-peak tennis player the upgrade options are Full tennis and/or Off peak squash or Full squash. Similarly for an off peak squash player. The options for a full tennis player are Off peak squash or full squash.

ok

If a full tennis member adds full squash a 15% discount applies. Similarly for full squash adding full tennis. There are no discounts for any off peak memberships.

You should be able to do this with the CBSubs Promotion concept.

(There is also a family membership requirement but that is down the road - I need to get the basics right first.)

CBSubs has not built-in family membership handling at this time.

That is the background. I have read and re-read the documentation, scoured the forums and been trying every set up I can think of without managing to achieve the above. The set up I have tried are:

Setup 1
Off peak and full each set to top level - exclusive. For full, off-peak not allowed and vice versa.
Issue: If one is selected on the registration page the other disappears from view but there is no way to uncheck the radio box to brihg the other one back into view in the event the wrong one was selected.

Setup 2
Off peak and full each set to top level - non exclusive.
For full, off-peak not allowed and vice versa. In off peak, upgrade allowed except if full squash active.
Issue: Radio buttons work as required, other plan disappears but can unclick and both reappear. If subscribe to full the off peak does not appear as an upgrade option. So far so good!
However, when a member upgrades from off peak to peak in a sport the residual value is not invoked and the full amount is payable.

So it appears that for upgrades to operate with residual values plans must be linked via a parent (logical).

Setup 3
In tennis the off peak is set as parent and full as child. For squash the full is set as parent and off peak as child.
Issue: The plans cannot be configured as required. Only full squash with off line tennis is allowed as a combination. I.e the two ones marked as top for parent. Also a child on its own cannot be selected - on clicking the radio button the plan disappears. On proceeding with the sign up it allows sign up without a plan. (Not wanted but will park that for now).

Setup 4
Set up a free plan for a parent of each sport set as automatically selected. So 2 new plans: Squash, Tennis. In Tennis have off peak and full both with Tennis as the parent. Same for Squash (it was not possible to have full hanging off Squash and off peak with Full as the parent.)
Issue: All combinations can be selected. However, if an off peak subscription is chosen then on the profile the full member upgrade does not appear as an option. Also, for the other sport only the top level free option appears and when clicked nothing shows in the upgrade space where the plan should be.

I am at a loss now having spent several days experimenting. Can you help to get me past this first hurdle please?

Wallyhowe

From what I understood from your use case description I would say that Setup 4 looks like your best approach.

You need to have a setup like:

Free lifetime Tennis plan (top level non exclusive)
-- Off peak Tennis calendar plan (exclusive)
-- Full Tennis calendar plan (exclusive)

Free lifetime Squash plan (top level non exclusive)
-- Off peak Squash calendar plan (exclusive)
-- Full Squash calendar plan (exclusive)

You should be able to configure upgrade proposals for your child plans in their Workflow tabs in the section Subscriptions upgrades workflows.

• wallyhowe
  • wallyhowe
8 years 10 months ago #274826 by wallyhowe
Replied by wallyhowe on topic Struggling to set up combination of plans
Thanks nant and yes your various assumptions are correct.

I have experimented with step 4 and have got it working including as required and also 2 sport discount on upgrades is working.

I found the user is not automatically logged in on subscribing with admin approval and email not required. I will trawl the forum and if I cannot find an answer I will start another thread.

Wallyhowe

• nant
  • nant
8 years 10 months ago #274914 by nant

wallyhowe wrote: Thanks nant and yes your various assumptions are correct.

I have experimented with step 4 and have got it working including as required and also 2 sport discount on upgrades is working.

Great!

I found the user is not automatically logged in on subscribing with admin approval and email not required. I will trawl the forum and if I cannot find an answer I will start another thread.

You can start other thread if you like, but there is no such feature built-in to CB or CBSubs.

You could however use a CB Auto Action to implement this (Professional membership is needed).

Moderators: beatnantkrileon