Skip to Content Skip to Menu

[SOLVED] 404 and 501 errors due to killed scripts

8 years 8 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #277634 by gilbertstudios
since adding CB and CBSubs, I have seen a huge increase in errors just navigating through the admin panel.

simple things, like opening the article or menu manager, generate a "404 category not found" error, or a "501 internal server error".

i wrote to my hosting company, and they advised that the processes are being killed for
excessive memory usage
. they recommended that i increase the PHP memory_limit and max_execution time to see if that will help.
...I did so, and it seemed to help briefly, but i'm still seeing these errors.

they also mentioned that something was triggering ModSecurity ... which i disabled.

i wrote again for further help, and they said:

it still seems your scripts have been getting automatically killed by our Process Watcher script due to your sites going over the resource limits on the shared server:

Thu Feb 4 13:01:13 2016 procwatch3 INFO: PID 8360 (php56.cgi)
username:pg609424: killed for gid ram
Thu Feb 4 13:03:24 2016 procwatch3 INFO: PID 7474 (php56.cgi)
Thu Feb 4 15:05:29 2016 procwatch3 INFO: PID 27175 (php56.cgi)

Has anyone else experienced this?

-- Should I increase the memory limits further?
-- What are good values to use?

They also recommended "looking into any 3rd party plugins I may be running, especially if you happen to be running Wordpress installs as they can be notoriously poor at memory management."

I have not seen this issue before in numerous Joomla sites that I've built... it only seems to be happening after installing and using CBSubs.

I certainly can't hand over a new site that throws an error (nearly) every time you try to navigate through the Admin panel!

Thank you very much for your help with this issue!!
I very much appreciate any assistance you can provide!
Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by beat. Reason: Added [SOLVED] tag to subject

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• krileon
  • krileon
8 years 7 months ago #278357 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic 404 and 501 errors due to killed scripts
CBSubs can be pretty heavy as it's trying to scan for and protect aspects of your site. If nothing it is configured it won't know until during the scan. So all of that code is still loaded into memory. It's really not designed for budget hosting and without an xdebug profile of your site we've no way of knowing where the slowdown could be happening.

The slowdown could even be from a fatal error or an infinite loop. You'll have to test with debug mode and maximum error reporting in Joomla global configuration for errors to expose and/or be logged to server error log.

I've no idea what your existing memory limits are so I can't suggest any increase, but I'd recommend something reasonably large (128mb or maybe 256mb) if you have a lot of Joomla extensions or CB plugins installed.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

8 years 7 months ago #278456 by gilbertstudios
Replied by gilbertstudios on topic 404 and 501 errors due to killed scripts
thank you.

i've bumped up the memory limits to 128mb and that seems to have taken care of it.

(i hope.)

i'll let you know if this changes.

• nilsy
  • nilsy
8 years 5 months ago #280959 by nilsy
Replied by nilsy on topic 404 and 501 errors due to killed scripts
Interesting... I have been noticing the same thing the past couple of weeks.
I didn't think it could be CB Subs behind such a problem, especially as this is kindof crazy!
The only reason I started suspecting it, is only because it is the only thing I have installed in recent months, and only on one site.

Now, the server I am using is a Pro one, on the biggest package they have.

I'll check this memory stuff tomorrow.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon