Skip to Content Skip to Menu

CBSubs Paypal Gateway Incorrectly Marking Payment as Complete

7 years 10 months ago - 7 years 10 months ago #288185 by Goosemoose
Hi Guys,

I've had this issue a few times now and it's really disturbing. This time someone purchased an $819 software program and my team sent them the license file as CBSubs marked it as complete. Paypal though shows that the payment/subscription was created and canceled at the exact same time and no money was actually paid. The buyer got our product for free.

Situation: The user signed up for a $799 program (1 plan, single pay) and a $20/mo (1 plan, subscription) at the same time.
CBSubs shows 3 logs in the history, the initialization, the payment cleared and then the cancellation, all occurring within 40 minutes but PP shows it occured during the same minute (21:11:00). CBSubs: Created but not paid yet: 21:09:09, Completed: 21:11:00, Cancelled: 21:41:29

Paypal shows a subscription being created and canceled in the same minute.

This is the Paypal Pro gateway.

I have PDF's of the records from PP and CBSubs that I don't want to post here as they have some private info on them. If someone can let me know where to send them, I'll do so asap. This is a huge problem and obviously just cost us quite a bit of money. Going back through our records it looks like it's happened at least 3 or 4 other times recently.
Last edit: 7 years 10 months ago by Goosemoose.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• krileon
  • krileon
7 years 10 months ago #288203 by krileon
Is "Accept payment once" set to "Payment is authorized and captured (means completed)" within your PayPal Pro gateway? Otherwise it's accepting payments before the full authorization process. If it is set to that then I don't see how this is possible as an API request is sent to PayPal to verify the payment was completed; I don't know how they could be tricking PayPal into reporting completed, but cancelled at the same time.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

7 years 10 months ago #288413 by Goosemoose
Hi Kyle,

Yes, "Payment is authorized and capture" is selected for the gateway. The same thing happened again this weekend. I contacted Paypal and they directed me to their API support team. I'm still waiting for a response from them. The support person I talked to said she can see that a profile was created (as it was 2 plans, a one time purchase and a subscription) but then the buyers bank rejected the payment as a risk (possibly because of the amount, though we ran it via Authorize.net later, just fine). The oddest part is on the CBSubs logs I can see the subscription creation and a log for a verification that the payment went through. I'm stuck here as our system is sending out licenses to people who haven't actually purchased our software. I'm afraid this has been happening more and I just haven't caught it like I did this time.

• krileon
  • krileon
7 years 10 months ago #288426 by krileon
I'm not sure what to advise then. PayPal created the subscription profile and reported it's paid successfully then I guess a day or hours later the payment was rejected, but an IPN wasn't sent to CBSubs to cancel it. If PayPal doesn't send an IPN to let CBSubs know it was cancelled then CBSubs can't do anything about it. When their API support gets back to you I suppose suggest that they send a profile cancellation IPN when this happens and if they already do send some form of IPN we'll need more details about it so we can add support for that IPN.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

7 years 10 months ago #288441 by Goosemoose
It all actually happened within seconds. Their IPN/API team reached out to me so I'm waiting to see what additional information I can get and will pass it on here.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon