Skip to Content Skip to Menu

Recurring payments vs price increase on CB Subs

• cliffvt
  • cliffvt
8 years 4 months ago #281921 by cliffvt
So we have PayPal recurring payments set up for an annual membership fee (using CB Subs). During the year we increased the plan prices, but of course when the annual auto recurring payment is received from PayPal, CB Subs automatically renews the plan membership, but unfortunately at the old price!

Question is, given that is the correct current behaviour, is there a way to raise a payment request or any other method of getting the subscriber to pay the additioanl fees through CB Subs, can CB subs create a payment basket automnatically for the difference in plan cost and the recurring payment. Can we create one manually?

How do you suggest this is handled?

Thanks, Cliff

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• krileon
  • krileon
8 years 4 months ago - 8 years 4 months ago #281940 by krileon
You can not change plan details after a recurring subscription has been created at PayPal. The reason for this is at PayPal they are agreeing to those exact subscription terms. There is like a 30 day (probably less, but I don't recall) window that those terms can change and API for it, but we don't utilize it at this time. Even with API after that window it's impossible to change beyond cancelling.

The best way to handle price changes for recurring subscriptions is to disable renewals and new subscriptions for the plan then create a new plan with your new price.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.
Last edit: 8 years 4 months ago by krileon.

• sclarke
  • sclarke
6 years 9 months ago #300899 by sclarke

krileon wrote: You can not change plan details after a recurring subscription has been created at PayPal. The reason for this is at PayPal they are agreeing to those exact subscription terms. There is like a 30 day (probably less, but I don't recall) window that those terms can change and API for it, but we don't utilize it at this time. Even with API after that window it's impossible to change beyond cancelling..

Hi Kyle,
In a phone support call today, PayPal Support tells us we can make bulk changes to the amount billed via API from CB Subs. This may have changed since your response quoted above and I'd appreciate it if you could verify with PayPal. This may not apply to credit card payments via the PP gateway but we have PayPal Pro installed and we can update the credit card payments manually.

Thanks!

• krileon
  • krileon
6 years 9 months ago #300908 by krileon
Original topic is in regards to PayPal Standard. PayPal Pro does have an API endpoint to modify the billing agreement. However, we're not likely to implement this anytime soon given it only works for basically 1 gateway. Feature like this would need to trigger after plan save, check for price/duration changes, check for all active subscribers, completely recalculate their expiration dates if duration changed, send the billing agreement changes to PayPal Pro.

Regardless added a feature ticket to keep our eyes on the APIs to see if more gateways allow for this and possibility of implementation.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon