Skip to Content Skip to Menu

[SOLVED] CB portrait picture will be rotated when uploaded via smartphone (eg. IPhone)

6 years 9 months ago - 6 years 9 months ago #301195 by erichburkhard
I am using CB 2.1.3. Now I have a strange behaviour when uploading portrait pictures. I am talking about the upload process of portrait pictures at registration time or later when editing the profile.

1. scenario - upload by use of a PC:
The user sits in front of his computer...chooses a certain portrait picture out of his media folders on his pc and does an upload. The moderator will approve this picture and the user will see his uploaded portrait picture in his profile. Important: the picture will be displayed exactly the same way as it was displayed on his pc media folder...so there is no rotation of the picture at all

2. scenario - upload (of a portrait / avatar) by use of a smartphone
The user uses his smartphone (for the registration or editing process) and therefore can decide if
a) he will choose a photo from his (smartphone internal) media galleries
b) does a selfie and use this selfie for an upload as a portrait picture
...after the upload of the picture (not important if he choses a) or b)), it is again the moderator who will approve the picture...but now the picture is displayed in a rotated manner (90 degrees or sometimes even 180 degrees)

3. scenario - upload (of a gallery picture) by use of a smartphone
...same process as discribed in 2) but now using the upload button in the gallery tab (using cb gallery plugin) --> no problem works 100%

...why does this happen....?

regards
Last edit: 6 years 9 months ago by krileon. Reason: Added [SOLVED] tag to subject

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• krileon
  • krileon
6 years 9 months ago #301196 by krileon
Turn off client side resizing in order for mobile EXIF data to be processed to properly save the image with its orientation. It's too heavy to do this in JS client side at this time so it's not supported for client side resizing, but server side will process EXIF orientation properly.

Personally I'm fed up with mobile devices doing this; they should store the photo properly rotated to begin with instead of putting it in EXIF. Mobile devices did this because computationally it's faster (uses less resources) than processing the rotation at time of photo being taken, but mobile devices have come a LONG way now so there isn't, IMO, a reason for them to keep doing this.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.
The following user(s) said Thank You: erichburkhard

6 years 9 months ago #301229 by erichburkhard
Hi Kyle - I tried to follow your advise but I don't know how to do this....lets look at the following screenshot. For this test I uploaded 1 gallery picture (blue)....and 1 avatar Picture (red)....(in both cases I used my smartphone an created an adhoc selfie)....

As you can see, the uploaded picture in the gallery tab area (which will be controlled by the CB Galley plugin) will always be upload in the correct orientation - I never had problems here.........in contrast to this, the orientation of the avatar picture is always wrong....the only settings to control the (Avatar)images are here....(in the Community Builder Edit Configuration)

....but here I have no field called: 'Client side resizing' which I could swich off...

PS: In the backend of the 'CB Gallery plugin' there is in fact a field called 'Client side resize' which i could switch off..but from my point of view the cb gallery plugin is not responsible to Control the upload process of the Avatar Images...

..or is there a missunderstanding from my side ?

regards
Attachments:

• krileon
  • krileon
6 years 9 months ago #301239 by krileon
Client side resizing has to be disabled on a per image field basis. Edit your image field within CB > Field Management then under Parameters > Image Limits set "Allow Client Resize" to "Disable". CB Gallery has its own setting for enabling/disabling client side resizing within its photos validation settings.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.
The following user(s) said Thank You: micheleq

6 years 9 months ago #301251 by erichburkhard
Thanks a lot - This worked :-)

regards
The following user(s) said Thank You: micheleq

Moderators: beatnantkrileon