Skip to Content Skip to Menu

Lots of SPAMMERS signing up in an odd way - is there a hole somewhere?

• mikerotec
  • mikerotec
5 years 7 months ago - 5 years 7 months ago #311285 by mikerotec
Lately I get a rash of users "signing up" in a very odd way - that is, they get authorized as "registered" - but do not have either our (mandatory!) "Free" subscription, nor our optional "Paid" subscription user group membership. It's almost like they are signing up for paid account, but then abandoning their cart --- EXCEPT there are no baskets ever found for the offending users. ( emails are mostly protonmail, outlook, and gmail)

In any event, they somehow make an activated account, and then somewhere between hours and WEEKS later, they show up on our forum to spam it with a couple of posts. I'm torn between thinking they are actual humans solving the (multiple!) CAPTCHAs, and then dumping the credentials to a spambot factory - OR- its some kind of automated signup backdoor loophole (which is very concerning...)

It's a lot of work chasing them down, banning them, deleting their posts. I have put up a "hold new users first couple of posts for approval" on our forum, but it SERIOUSLY INCONVENIENCES our actual PAYING USERS, most of whom sign up and make a paid subscription expressly for the purpose of posting an urgent question on our support forum.

Despite me posting a clear notice on the signup page, the FAQ page, AND the welcome email - the vast majority of these users are oblivious to the "first couple forum posts are moderated" advisories, and instead repeatedly post their first message multiple times (up to a DOZEN TIMES!!!) expecting it to be instantly published... It's a big hassle for me to individually delete each of those repeat posts, too...

Any advice on this?
Attachments:
Last edit: 5 years 7 months ago by mikerotec.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• krileon
  • krileon
5 years 7 months ago #311305 by krileon

Lately I get a rash of users "signing up" in a very odd way - that is, they get authorized as "registered" - but do not have either our (mandatory!) "Free" subscription, nor our optional "Paid" subscription user group membership. It's almost like they are signing up for paid account, but then abandoning their cart --- EXCEPT there are no baskets ever found for the offending users. ( emails are mostly protonmail, outlook, and gmail)

A basket without a payment method selected will expire. So they're registering, reaching the basket, and leaving.

In any event, they somehow make an activated account, and then somewhere between hours and WEEKS later, they show up on our forum to spam it with a couple of posts. I'm torn between thinking they are actual humans solving the (multiple!) CAPTCHAs, and then dumping the credentials to a spambot factory - OR- its some kind of automated signup backdoor loophole (which is very concerning...)

To prevent them from being able to make their account active after having done this be sure "Allow Free Registered Users (without subscriptions)" is set to "No" within CBSubs > Settings > Global. If your free plan is a lifetime plan also be sure "Create Subscriptions also for free lifetime plans" is set to "Yes". This ensures an account requires a subscription.

You do not have some backdoor or loophole unless you've another extension that allows registration, but they wouldn't exist in CB if that was the case. They are just abandoning their baskets, which leaves their user behind. Since you require confirmation they are stuck until they confirm their email, which isn't hard for a bot to do. But if CBSubs is required to have a subscription the bot likely would get stuck trying to login and asked to subscribe.

It's a lot of work chasing them down, banning them, deleting their posts. I have put up a "hold new users first couple of posts for approval" on our forum, but it SERIOUSLY INCONVENIENCES our actual PAYING USERS, most of whom sign up and make a paid subscription expressly for the purpose of posting an urgent question on our support forum.

Yup, it's frustrating. Imagine how much spam we've to battle. We've used CB Auto Actions to implement blocking forum posts of new users if they contain a URL of any kind. Subscribers are exempt from this check. This catches 99% of the spam or at least makes the spam harmless and alerts us so we can clear it out. We've a tutorial on how we're doing this below.

www.joomlapolis.com/documentation/291-cb-auto-actions/tutorials/18810-blocking-kunena-forum-spammers

Despite me posting a clear notice on the signup page, the FAQ page, AND the welcome email - the vast majority of these users are oblivious to the "first couple forum posts are moderated" advisories, and instead repeatedly post their first message multiple times (up to a DOZEN TIMES!!!) expecting it to be instantly published... It's a big hassle for me to individually delete each of those repeat posts, too...

Yup, that's why we avoided enabling that in Kunena. If we could enable it only for non-paid users we would've used that instead of CB Auto Actions.

Any advice on this?

Ensure CB AntiSpam is installed and you've Captcha on your registration page. This will help at least stopping bots from registering, but won't stop humans. This is in addition to the CB Auto Actions usage above.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mikerotec

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon