Skip to Content Skip to Menu

CB - Private Message System - How to override string

4 years 2 months ago - 4 years 2 months ago #320003 by erichburkhard
HI - I am using the latest CB version and the latest german language plugin for CB. If you look at the following screenshot you will see that the string: "Block messages from" is not translated into German language......

In order to achieve this translation I have:
1. opened the German language pluging (de-DE) in CB
2. Selected the 'Override' tab....
3. Scrolled down and entered the string "Block" into the field called "Search Language Keys and Text"....and clicked "Find"

...one of the "best" hits I have found was:

"BLOCK_MESSAGE_7dafdd" => 'Block Message'

4. Then I have enhanced the German language plugin with the following translation string:

"BLOCK_MESSAGE_7dafdd" => 'Blockiere Nachricht'

...but the result was not as expected

Question:
What is the exact translation-ID? ...And what did I wrong in my search analysis?
Last edit: 4 years 2 months ago by erichburkhard.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• krileon
  • krileon
4 years 2 months ago #320008 by krileon
The below language strings are used for blocking and unblocking message senders.

Key: BLOCK_MESSAGES_FROM_USER
String: Block Messages from <span class="text-info">[user]</span>

Key: UNBLOCK_MESSAGES_FROM_USER
String: Unblock Messages from <span class="text-info">[user]</span>

Searching "block messages from" should've found both using the language finder.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

4 years 1 month ago #320097 by erichburkhard
Replied by erichburkhard on topic CB - Private Message System - How to override string
HI - If I add this translation string via FTP directly into the corresponding 'override.php' file it works perfectly :-)

BUT if I try to......

a) search the string: "block messages from" via backend GUI he does not find anything match....

b) save the de-DE language plugin (via backend GUI) after having added some changes to the entries in the override tab, the 'save' action has absolutely no effect

Do you have any idea for the behaviour a) an b) ? I have checked the access rights for the override.php file, it is "644" ...this should be fine
Same behaviour with Chrome and Firefox as well......in the override.php file there are approx. 500 language entries .....do you think this might be the problem?

regards

• krileon
  • krileon
4 years 1 month ago #320100 by krileon
You don't have to use the search to be able to override the language string. The overrides are configured directly above the search and have provided the keys for you above to use in the override.

The search only works by searching the currently loaded language strings. It has some known issues right now if you are loading backend in a language other than English where it won't fallback to searching the default language files.

Do you have any idea for the behaviour a) an b) ? I have checked the access rights for the override.php file, it is "644" ...this should be fine
Same behaviour with Chrome and Firefox as well......in the override.php file there are approx. 500 language entries .....do you think this might be the problem?

Yes, that could be a problem. That means that overrides page has something like 1,500 inputs being sent to POST and depending on server configuration the request might be rejected due to that. Why do you have so many language overrides? It's not meant to be used as a means of translating all of CB, but to just override a few strings. If the plugins translations are incomplete or wrong I suggest contributing to that languages Transifex project.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon