Skip to Content Skip to Menu

@ini_set( 'memory_limit', '32M' ); setting in comprofiler files

• ernienet
  • ernienet
3 years 10 months ago #321487 by ernienet
Beginning around October 29th, I began having trouble with Akeeba Backup failing to send CRON job backup files to Dropbox. I didn't realize it until a week ago, and have been trying to troubleshoot it ever since.

My hosting company has isolated the problem to one or more of the following files - Nicholas at Akeeba has diagnosed the problem as a memory limit or timeout issue, but my host has no time upper or lower time limits set.

The files logged by my host as potentially causing the backup to crash:

/home/mysite/public_html/components/com_comprofiler/comprofiler.php: @ini_set( 'memory_limit', '32M' );
/home/mysite/public_html/administrator/components/com_comprofiler/admin.comprofiler.controller.php: @ini_set( 'memory_limit', '32M' );
/home/mysite/public_html/administrator/components/com_comprofiler/install.comprofiler.php: @ini_set( 'memory_limit', '32M' );

I keep all extensions updated, and I know that there have been several updates to Community Builder over the past several months. Did any of them add these @ini_set( 'memory_limit', '32M' ); lines?

My host is recommending that I disable or remove the extension to test this.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Ernie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• krileon
  • krileon
3 years 10 months ago #321493 by krileon
That has always been there. It's a fail safe to ensure the memory limit is not set below 80M which would be the bare minimum for CB to run safely without hitting memory limits. Just above that ini_set is an IF check to ensure the memory limit is less than what is being set. It is unlikely that code is even being ran on your install unless you've less than 80M set for memory_limit in php.ini, which I highly doubt.

Edit those 3 files and comment out the entire memory limit change code and see if that helps. I highly doubt it'll fix your issue though. That code only loads when actually on a CB backend view or during CB installation, which you are not during an Akeeba Backup.

I began having trouble with Akeeba Backup failing to send CRON job backup files to Dropbox

Have you followed Akeebas documentation carefully regarding configuring this?

www.akeeba.com/documentation/akeeba-backup-documentation/data-processing-engines.html#proc-dropbox2

Suggest using "Enabled chunked upload" and disabling "Process each part immediately" then adjusting "Chunk size" to something reasonable. This should prevent memory limit or timeout issues during the backup upload.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

• ernienet
  • ernienet
3 years 10 months ago #321520 by ernienet
Thank you for your response. I was skeptical about the hosting company's assertation but needed to do my due diligence in pursuing all angles to satisfy them that I was being cooperative.

It seems that the main issue was that PHP 7.4 has a default php.ini value of 32M. They changed it to 128M yesterday which resulted in about 32 of 37 websites backup up correctly to Dropbox (9 were WordPress sites, which is why I questioned their assertion). The other five (all Joomla) might have had various issues with the CRON job, which I inspected and modified this morning.

Off topic: You haven't ever considered a WordPress version of Community Builder, have you? I can tell you that all that I've gone through to try to set up different customized list views and filtering in WordPress is just about impossible - no plugins seem to support anything even close to what you have in Community Builder!

Thank you,
Ernie
The following user(s) said Thank You: krileon

• krileon
  • krileon
3 years 10 months ago #321525 by krileon

You haven't ever considered a WordPress version of Community Builder, have you? I can tell you that all that I've gone through to try to set up different customized list views and filtering in WordPress is just about impossible - no plugins seem to support anything even close to what you have in Community Builder!

Yup, we sure have. That's a big part of why the next phase of Community Builder will be starting next year. We basically are going to be rewriting CB from the ground up using Symfony components for quite a bit of our internal code. The goal is to eventually support Wordpress and Standalone versions of CB. Standalone would be a site that is powered entirely by CB and nothing else. I've a blog post of basically what next years plans are below.

www.joomlapolis.com/blog/kyle/18895-what-am-i-working-on-15

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon