Skip to Content Skip to Menu

Best way to create a private messages inbox tab on user profile

• boyjahq
  • boyjahq
3 years 10 months ago - 3 years 10 months ago #321783 by boyjahq
What is the best way to create a user profile tab that shows their private messages inbox? I at first thought I could create a new field for that, but I did not see a field option that seemed associated with messages. I can see that the inbox is possible in a site module. Is it best to somehow incorporate that module into CB profile tab? In the old version of CB (1.9.1) there was a plugin to make a tab for PMS uddeIM Inbox. That's what we are looking for now with the CB PM function.
Last edit: 3 years 10 months ago by boyjahq.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• krileon
  • krileon
3 years 10 months ago #321792 by krileon
The built in PMS functionality doesn't have a tab for that. It has an icon shown top right of profile as shown below.

If you don't see it be sure it's enabled in Private Message System > Parameters > Internal > Display > Messages with the "Profile Icon" icon. It should be default enabled though. We've no plans to add support for a tab that displays the messages.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

• boyjahq
  • boyjahq
3 years 10 months ago #321904 by boyjahq
I want to disable the Community Builder menu tab, but when I do, the messages and notifications icons also disappear. Is there some way to retain those while disabling the CB menu?

• krileon
  • krileon
3 years 10 months ago #321913 by krileon
No, not at this time. We've a feature ticket already to add support for the PMS icon like that to be supported outside of CB Menu. Ideally will just be a field so it can also be substituted in other locations.

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.
The following user(s) said Thank You: boyjahq

• boyjahq
  • boyjahq
3 years 9 months ago #322178 by boyjahq
I was able to accomplish this in a different way by creating a Joomla menu item of type CB Plugin / Private Message System and then put the link into a Custom HTML field and put that in the Messages tab that I created. It is sufficient for our needs right now.

• krileon
  • krileon
3 years 9 months ago #322181 by krileon
Was able to put together a workaround solution. First in a CB Content Module add the following.

Text
Code:
<div class="cbIconOnlyMenu">[cb:usertab tab="17" /]</div>

Next use the below CSS to suppress all of CB Menu except for the CB Activity and PMS icon.

CSS
Code:
.cbIconOnlyMenu .cbMenuNavBar { border: 0 !important; background: none !important; margin: 0 !important; padding: 0 !important; } .cbIconOnlyMenu .cbMenuNavBar .cbMenuNavBarToggle { display: none; } .cbIconOnlyMenu .cbMenuNavBar .navbar-collapse { display: block; } .cbIconOnlyMenu .cbMenuNavBar .cbMenuNav { flex-direction: row; } .cbIconOnlyMenu .cbMenuNavBar .cbMenuNav .nav-link { padding: 0 !important; } .cbIconOnlyMenu .cbMenuNavBar .cbMenu:not(.cbMenu_UE_MENU_ACTIVITY_NOTIFICATIONS):not(.cbMenu_UE_MENU_PMS_MSGS) { display: none !important; } .cbIconOnlyMenu .cbMenuNavBar .navbar-collapse, .cbIconOnlyMenu .cbMenuNavBar .cbMenuNav .cbMenu + .cbMenu { margin-left: 1rem; }

It's a bit of a goofy workaround, but it will accomplish rendering the CB Activity notifications and PMS icons. Their click modal windows will work fine as well.

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--

Moderators: beatnantkrileon