Skip to Content Skip to Menu

[SOLVED] Setting Up Canvas Image Settings

• AlexRag
  • AlexRag
3 years 4 months ago - 3 years 4 months ago #324938 by AlexRag
I am trying out a few different image sizes as a test user for the canvas photo and running into an issue.

I want make sure whatever image is uploaded fills the width of the canvas area in the profile and let the user position the cropping.

When I upload an image that is for example 1280x975, it leaves black areas on either side of the image, unless I select "No" for maintain aspect ratio. The result however is a squished image.

I am wondering if perhaps I need to look at adjusting these settings: Maximum Image Height & Width settings , which I set to 1280x640.

I also anticipate users are going to have an assortment of sizes and wanted to find the correct setting for allowing them to upload and crop, but still maintain the full width needed to fill the canvas area.

Are there a recommended sizes/settings I should be looking at?

Hope this makes sense.

Last edit: 3 years 4 months ago by krileon. Reason: Added [SOLVED] tag to subject

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• krileon
  • krileon
3 years 4 months ago - 3 years 4 months ago #324947 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Setting Up Canvas Image Settings
The following settings (the defaults) are recommended.

Maximum Image Height: 640
Maximum Image Width: 1280
Maximum Thumbnail Height: 320
Maximum Thumbnail Width: 640
Maintain Aspect Ratio: Normal CB Default (global default is Yes)
Allow Client Resize: Enabled

It should cause the images width to scale down then allow them to reposition the image as needed within the height limit of 200px (size of that canvas display). It's never going to really work well for large portrait images though as it's just not designed for portrait view as it's a landscape view.

It also shouldn't cause black bars. Are you sure those aren't a part of the image. The below is what a large portrait image will look like (zoomed in).

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.
Last edit: 3 years 4 months ago by krileon.

• AlexRag
  • AlexRag
3 years 4 months ago - 3 years 4 months ago #324953 by AlexRag
Replied by AlexRag on topic Setting Up Canvas Image Settings
Thank you.

I was trying out the other 'Maintain Aspect Ratio' setting like "Yes", "Yes with cropping" and "Yes with user cropping" which is when I found the images to create black bars. The image was actually landscape as well.

I thought the problem may have been because image size was too small (710px wide) so I made the image at least 1280px to see if that made a difference. It didn't.

I am not sure how the image gets processed if the image is not at least 1000px wide.

*** Update ***

I think I figured out why the image kept creating the black bars. I had changed the 'Maintain aspect ratio' to Yes, with Cropping in the Configuration>Images tab. Once I changed it to just Yes the image loaded as expected.

Last edit: 3 years 4 months ago by AlexRag.
The following user(s) said Thank You: krileon

Moderators: beatnantkrileon