Skip to Content Skip to Menu

field not editable on users profile

• galanopd
  • galanopd
2 years 11 months ago - 2 years 11 months ago #327004 by galanopd
field not editable on users profile was created by galanopd
I am trying to make editable a dropdown single select field on users profile and also on userlists but I can't.
The field is visible and editable if placed on registration form but on user's profile it is only visible (visitor can't select).
I suppose it has to do with the Privacy settings of the field?
This field will be public and according to chosen value, the visitor will be redirected to a payment gateway or to buy a product from e-shop.
Something like a CTA button would do.

How could I implement this?
Last edit: 2 years 11 months ago by galanopd.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• beat
  • beat
2 years 11 months ago #327016 by beat
Replied by beat on topic field not editable on users profile
By default, fields are not editable directly on user profiles nor in users-lists. From user profile, the user (or an authorized moderator) can select menu edit - update your profile to edit the fields.

To make a field editable in the user view or users list directly, you need to install and enable the CB core fields ajax plugin:
www.joomlapolis.com/addons/cb-core-fields-ajax

Then to configure in each field in integrations - CB core field ajax tab - for profile view and for users lists.

That makes the field editable by the user directly in profile view and users list.

Not sure to understand your use-case, can you please tell more what other users (or non-logged in guests?) should be able to do or see in your use-case?

Beat - Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info

• galanopd
  • galanopd
2 years 11 months ago - 2 years 11 months ago #327018 by galanopd
Replied by galanopd on topic field not editable on users profile

Then to configure in each field in integrations - CB core field ajax tab - for profile view and for users lists.

That makes the field editable by the user directly in profile view and users list.

I had already tried that and the dropdown list does not appear. I tried again now and the same result. Not editable.

This is how it appears in user edit profile

And this is what appears in the user list

• galanopd
  • galanopd
2 years 11 months ago - 2 years 11 months ago #327019 by galanopd

Not sure to understand your use-case, can you please tell more what other users (or non-logged in guests?) should be able to do or see in your use-case?

Either other logged-in users or non-logged in ones they should be able to see what the users sees when editing the profile (attachment ...90057) as the access should be set to Public.

Part of the message is hidden for the guests. Please log in or register to see it.

• beat
  • beat
2 years 11 months ago - 2 years 11 months ago #327023 by beat
Replied by beat on topic field not editable on users profile
I don't think that using user profile fields to communicate with the user is the best solution here.

E.g. if a non-logged-in visitor (guest joomla-access-level) edits such a field, it will be stored in the viewed user profile, and be visible to everyone else having access to that user profile. I highly doubt that this is the intended goal.

We have public email to user functionality in CB, where any public user can email a user (CB Antispam plugin highly recommended in that case).

In CB Configuration - General Tab: "Email Handling" set to "Display link to email form", then below it turn "Public Email Form" to on.

That will allow anyone to email any user.

Then, if you want to monetize that functionality with a membership, you can protect that URL e.g. with CBSubs. But CBSubs doesn't have a "pay per use" counter, nor does it provide for payments from guests, so you would have to implement that, possibly with CB Auto-Actions, or with a different solution.

Beat - Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info
Last edit: 2 years 11 months ago by beat. Reason: typo

• galanopd
  • galanopd
2 years 11 months ago - 2 years 11 months ago #327028 by galanopd

...so you would have to implement that, possibly with CB Auto-Actions,...

I see... but how Auto Actions could help in this case. What is the action that would do?
Also the Email provided by CB doesn't allow to set options like a dropdown list...

I had in mind to allow the public user to select an option (by setting the dropdown list to public), then after his selection automatically take him to pay by creating e-shop products or something like that.... don't even know if that works.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon