Skip to Content Skip to Menu

CB Gallery There is no thumbnail field to add an image

• krileon
  • krileon
2 years 7 months ago - 2 years 7 months ago #328627 by krileon
Thumbnail retrieval is cached. Clear your Joomla cache and retry or delete the "gallery_links" folder in Joomla's cache folder. The thumbnail retrieval will only work with public listings. It's not meant to be used with private listings. The way it works is we call their below endpoint.

Code:
https://vimeo.com/api/oembed.xml?url=VIMEO_VIDEO_URL_HERE

We use the response from that to determine the thumbnail. Below is the support URLs for that API.

developer.vimeo.com/api/oembed/videos#embedding-a-video-with-oembed-step-1

That API is the only way we can get the thumbnail. That's also where we get the true video embed URL and is probably why you see the URL change. If that endpoint isn't working for your videos you'll need to contact Vimeo to figure out why.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.
Last edit: 2 years 7 months ago by krileon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• activha
  • activha
2 years 7 months ago #328637 by activha
OK I have uploaded again the video with public settings and no privacy at all.
Then added the link to CB Gallery. Video displays fine but there is still no thumbnail.

I tried with smaller videos and got a correct thumbnail. Strange...
Have also emptied all caches correctly.

Mind to check on your test site with the new url vimeo.com/681021962 ?

• krileon
  • krileon
2 years 7 months ago #328644 by krileon
Worked fine for me.

Edit the media within CB Gallery > Media then click Details > Thumbnail to see if it truly doesn't have a thumbnail or if it's just not displaying. "Path" should be set to the value of "<thumbnail_url>" as seen in the below API call (you can test this right in your browser).

Code:
https://vimeo.com/api/oembed.xml?url=https://vimeo.com/681021962

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

• activha
  • activha
2 years 7 months ago #328650 by activha
Very strange !
In the backend I had no path for thumbnail. I tried editing in the frontend twice and same result, no thumbnail, no path.
Then in the backend if I edit the media and manually add the thumbnail path retrieved on the api link you gave me, then it displays fine in the front end.

For a reason that I don't find the thumbnail is not retrieved for me for this video. It seems that smaller ones have no issues with thumbnails display though.

I'll do another long one on monday evening, will check if it happens again.

• krileon
  • krileon
2 years 7 months ago #328654 by krileon
Delete the "gallery_links" folder in your Joomla /cache folder and retry linking the video. That should allow the HTTP request to retry as it does cache. Aside from that I don't know what more to suggest. I've tested 3 installs now with them all working fine and the endpoint also works fine when accessed via browser.

In the future will review adding some sort of debug output for the HTTP requests, but for now it just silently fails since it's not required.

forge.joomlapolis.com/issues/8875

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--

Moderators: beatnantkrileon