Skip to Content Skip to Menu

XSPF Profile Player.....A Different Perspective

17 years 10 months ago #26906 by Jesuslavex
INTRO

OK, so I finally had an opportunity to sit and look at NANTs gallery and the XSPF profile plugins. The code on those things are just downright beautiful. So it got me thinking of how we could incorporate the two into a single tab that allows for music upload and play.

LOGIC

We know how Nants gallery works. A user signs up through CBLOGIN, the plugin generates a folder per userid# in the specified directory. Sounds good

We know how the XSPF profile player plugin works. A user specifies an XSPF playlist for the player to stream.

FINDINGS

In my travels the past few days, I've come across a few neato little PHP scripts that allow for automatic generation of an XSPF playlist. It simply reads and MP3 directory, and pulls the ID3 tag info from the files. The user only has to put the PHP file address in the Player to make it stream.

Autogenerating XSPF Playlist Below
www.lasmit.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2006/11/playlist.zip

THEORY

Modifying Nants gallery to auto generate some files (in theory) is completely possible. When a user signs up for an account through CB, the gallery auto generates user ID folder, and the subfolders and files from above. Whenever a person uses the modified gallery to upload, it uploads ONLY MP3s into the MP3 subdirectory within the users folder.

Also, modifying the XSPF Profile Player plugin to automatically input into itself the autogenerated playlist php URL (works similar to the autogenerated directories of the gallery) would totally eliminate all hands on activities. All the user would have to do is upload songs.

In this scenerio, each playlist is identified and separated via the userid. This makes it the URL unique

THE LOOK

Both of these features could be incorporated into a single tab. The upload portion viewable only to the user to whome it belongs. Furthermore, a bio portion could be inserted into this tab, asking various information about the user.

THE CATCH

I cant code PHP for snot. In fact, I wouldn't know where to start. I know just enough to have a light grasp of what the plugins do be viewing the finished product

IN CLOSING

I hope I'm not overstepping. With my lack of PHP knowledge, I'm definatly not up for the task of making this happen. I just wanted to let everyone know of my findings and how (I think.....In Theory) they could be incorporated into making a plugin that damn near everyone wants. With such a tremendous code base to work with, I figured it wouldnt be an act of God for someone to figure it out....then again, maybe it would :woohoo:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pointri
  • pointri
17 years 10 months ago #26910 by pointri
Hi Jesuslavex,

I'll afford more time for this thread soon, but I wanted to answer your post right away, because all of your great points touch on development underway with an XSPF plugin.

Styles here on the board has been hard at work recently, among other things making the plugin work much in the way that the script you attached does. The playlist will be auto-generated instead of being stored as a physical file.

I know that Nick has been looking to add MP3 player functionality to the CB Gallery Plugin, and it did come up recently about having one place to upload any sort of file, instead of one for each tab.

I'll see about adding the getID3 library to the XSPF plugin, and I had thought about stripping it down to deal only with uploaded mp3s.

Joomlapolitan zealot and a somewhat stealthy, rather passive CB3PD developer.
www.constructionlounge.com Construction Lounge: Online resource and networking portal for the construction and remodeling industries.

• Styles
  • Styles
17 years 10 months ago #26911 by Styles
;) Hey there

Here is the good news, Almost all of these issues are being developed with the existing XSPF MP3 Player Plugin.

As you suggested here, all files would using the same userid system as Nants Gallery plugin.

The only difference is that it would be a seperate tab instead of inside the existing My Gallery tab.

here is the link to the appropriate topic
www.joomlapolis.com/component/option,com_joomlaboard/Itemid,38/func,view/catid,13/id,3991/
and
www.joomlapolis.com/component/option,com_joomlaboard/Itemid,38/func,view/catid,13/id,17690/

Many other features are being worked on...
But..like you.. Many dont have the expertise (including me) and veru little do... Hence why this is taking a little Longuer.

Pointri being the main programer of this plugin, if not the only one, excluding myself

Hey!? I want karma too :(

There's a reason they call me Styles with an S
www.stylesmedia.ca - www.sm-music.com - www.perfect-light.com
Want more? Got more!

• nant
  • nant
17 years 10 months ago #26924 by nant
Also looking at this thread.

Actually, I have been working on almost the same thing!

Found the playlist generator also.

My next steps:

working on RC3 of my gallery plugin - actually a development version is running on this site - you can see the mp3 and video playback by looking at my profile on this site!

after RC3 is released I am thinking (in progress) of another plugin that gives profiles a XSPF player that feeds off the CB Gallery uploads.

I am considering offering this for a small fee - what do you think?

• dsendecki
  • dsendecki
17 years 10 months ago #26987 by dsendecki

• Red1000
  • Red1000
17 years 10 months ago #26995 by Red1000
dsendecki wrote:

I'd support that!

Same here!

Joomla 1.0.8 + CB Stable

Moderators: beatnantkrileon