Skip to Content Skip to Menu

Need advice about a gallery

• joanie57
  • joanie57
17 years 3 months ago #39984 by joanie57
Need advice about a gallery was created by joanie57
Hello, all -

I'm very new to Joomla, CB, etc., but I'm learning quickly! I have just created 2 extended-family sites. Joomla is installed and works great. CB is installed, and works great. Fireboard took a little more work, but figured it out, as well. Everything seems to work correctly and plays well together.

I installed Zoom Gallery, because I thought it would fit my needs better than the others I have looked at. It's installed, and it works...sort of. I'm having a lot of little problems with it. Gallery descriptions don't display properly, "published" galleries mysteriously "unpublish" themselves, I can't figure out how to fill in the form correctly when uploading a new file, etc.

I'm thinking I made a mistake in choosing Zoom Gallery, because a) there is very little documentation for how to actually USE it once it's installed, and b) most of the questions on its website seem to go unanswered.
The user interface is so complex that I'm trying to write a tutorial for my users, to teach them how to create/edit galleries and upload/edit pictures. Many of my users are folks over age 75, and they will just not use a feature if they can't understand how to make it work.

I'm beginning to think I should just change to a different gallery. But I don't know which one. I would like to use something that can be integrated into Joomla/CB as easily as Zoom is. I'm not comfortable doing much coding - I can do the "replace THIS code with THIS OTHER code" thing, but that's about it. From what I could figure out, Coppermine and some of the others require extra steps to make it work with both Joomla and CB. I want a gallery where I can link to a "main page" with a list of all the galleries available, not just see a gallery from a user's profile (which I think is what CBgallery does).

So I guess my question is, would I be better off staying with Zoom Gallery, writing my user's tutorial, and trying to fix the little problems on my own; or is there another gallery program that will fit my needs and be a little easier to work with?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• mediaguru
  • mediaguru
17 years 3 months ago #40016 by mediaguru
Replied by mediaguru on topic Re:Need advice about a gallery
I've had decent luck with gallery2 on my sites. Joomgallery seems cool too.

CB/Joomla golf site: www.thegolfspace.com
Geek/joomla site: www.tkserver.com

Check out my Joomla/CB projects:

* LIKE thumbs up system for "liking" content items
* Karma - CB user rating system
* Golf Score Tracker
* Jitter - status update system. "What's on your mind?"
* CB Author Plug - Shows CB author link and avatar in content items. J1.5 compatible and very customizable!

Found on my web site or in the Joomlapolis Directory !

• joanie57
  • joanie57
17 years 3 months ago #40022 by joanie57
Replied by joanie57 on topic Re:Need advice about a gallery
I'm looking at Gallery2. It looks pretty good - at least their website has decent documentation and instructions.

Does Gallery2 require a bridge, extension, or plugin to work with Joomla? Likewise to work with CB? If so , is it installed in a similar manner to Fireboard or ZoomGallery (install component, install bridge/plugin, then set the whole thing up)?

Those are probably dumb questions and I apologize. I did a quick search for Gallery2-related stuff but didn't find anything - I probably missed them. I think my brain is suffering from Joomla overload. A month ago I didn't know what Joomla was, now I'm running 2 full Joomla sites...

Thank you!

Moderators: beatnantkrileon