Skip to Content Skip to Menu

Mambolg

• wingflap
  • wingflap
17 years 2 months ago #42973 by wingflap
Mambolg was created by wingflap
Ok. So Mambolg is a Joomla component and not a CB Plugin. But it was a combination of two things that prompted me to post this here:
  1. The Mamblog CB Plugin and
  2. Mamblog is incomplete, buggy, and not supported (that I can tell looking at their forums)

I really like the way that CB is set up and the flexability it affords. I'm not looking to copy MySpace or anything (they are years ahead and have much more $$$ to invest in development than any of us). I like the idea of being able to create a simple site with a place for users to define themselves in a creative manner.

CB is a great way to highlight all of a user's contribution to a site as well as providing a little playground. The only piece that's missing (for me) is a user blog.

There are many well-documented posts about the scarcity of decent free blog components available. As many CB community members have found (and openly complained about) Mamblog just doesn't cut it.

So how does this relate to CB? When I installed the CB plugin, I noticed that Joomla plugins that I've enabled for content that don't show up within the context of the Mamblog component were there. Then I noticed why. The links in the CB Mamblog plugin point to com_content and not com_mamblog!

This got me thinking...

If Mamblog was used simply to add blog entries, edit blog entries, and list bloggers (users with blogs) and list users' blog entries, then the rest could simply rely on standard Joomla functionality.

So just as a start and a proof of concept, I've created a simple Joomla mambot which puts an edit icon in a blog entry (displayed by com_content) if you are the author of that blog. The icon is a link to the mamblog edit page (so you don't have to deal with Joomla restrictions on author. And it worked!

Anyway, I'm just tossing this out here because I like the level of participation that I see with this community and want to know if anyone else is interested in taking this adventure any further.

If this topic is out of line for this forum, please feel free to move it. I realize that this is definitely stretching the bounds of what this CB forum seems to be about, but then again, every community grows.

I am the Wingflap. Goo Goo G'Joob!<br>

How comfortable are you? Visit www.comfortometer.com

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon