Skip to Content Skip to Menu

Community Builder Clone - *Must READ*

16 years 1 month ago #73928 by Bubba HoTep
Replied by Bubba HoTep on topic Re:Community Builder Clone - *Must READ*

beat wrote:
nnwltrs,

Thanks for sharing this clean and well-thought implementation idea, which indeed allows to do the best focussed marketing, tailored to each group of people, and is really easy to implement. B)

I am not sure why you think this. It has not been tested. He even said himself that he has not tried it. They have only done this with a calendar. Huge difference.

Have you done it this way?

beat wrote:
I believe Bubba HoTep hasn't seen yet the size and scope of CB :D and definitely underestimates the work and all issues araising from his favorite approach if he thinks making a second instance of CB is easier than your excellent and so easy to implement and wise, straightforward, modern marketing-oriented solution. ;)

Geez dude...
Anyways. I am only trying to figure out a solution for my particular situation. I am not sure what words such as wise, straightforward, and modern marketing-oriented have anything to do with whether a particular set up will work for a particular situation, when no one has even tried it.

beat wrote:
Existing CB extensions like GroupJive (looks like news are scheduled soon ;) ), APC (momentarly not available, but hopefully available soon again ;) ), and the CB subscriptions plugin (currently in last private beta tests by over a dozen beta-testers, one of them running a very popular wedding site among many other sites ;) ) will also help bringing a cool solution. Not to speak about the pipeline of features CB 1.3 and 2.0 are preparing...

Groupjive does not do what I am wanting. It's main purpose is for creating groups. Which I do not need. Nothing else seems available. The subscription plugin may work, but it would not actually present any solutions for having two separate member types with 2 separate needs. If all I was doing was running a wedding site then this would be very easy and straight forward, but for my particular needs there has not been any solution presented that really makes sense. Are any of the upcoming releases going to address the request by others for a duplicated member type?

beat wrote:
Well, back to work to finish polishing the stable release and help getting out all those exciting things above ;)

(btw nnwltrs and all doc subscribers: B) thanks a lot for supporting our work, it makes a difference being able to work full speed :) ).

Please don't think that I do not appreciate everything you guys have done. I have been told that the developers are highly sensitive about it. Which I understand why and while I post about this uneasy subject I want to make sure that I state very clearly that I respect all of you and the work you have done. Without it I could not really do what I want to.

Please keep that in mind. please keep in mind that I am just searching for the right decision for what I need.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• nnwltrs
  • nnwltrs
16 years 1 month ago #73972 by nnwltrs
Replied by nnwltrs on topic Re:Community Builder second instance
beat wrote:

Thanks for sharing this clean and well-thought implementation idea...

You're welcome and thanks for the kind words.

Bubba HoTep:
I totally get your frustration. The problem of dual classes of users existing in parallel feels like it should just work in Joomla but there doesn't seem to be any easy solution.

I do think that our dual site approach is much easier to implement than any cloning. Our approach can be implemented today while either a hacked or official clone is going to take quite a bit of time to develop. And if you don't get an official cloning solution, you're left with the nightmare of maintaining a hacked product.

Good luck with your search.

16 years 1 month ago #73995 by Bubba HoTep
Replied by Bubba HoTep on topic Re:Community Builder Clone - *Must READ*
Ok here is my problem with the subdomain idea.

I have 3 choices...

1) Put the bride member type in a subdomain. They would be seperate from the vendors. The problem with this is that I want the brides to be able to leave comments on posted articles and blogs, and all the articles and blogs will be on the main domain.

2) Put the SOBI2 directory and the CB vendor member types on the subdomain. This would be just like above. however the problem with this is that now I have to figure out a way for my SOBI2 menus to appear and link correctly on the main site. Is there an easy way to do this? The big problem is the main site index page. I have the category list there. That will not work correctly if I have the directory on a subdomain.

3) Put the CB vendor member types on a subdomain by themselves. Well obviously the problem here is linking this group to the directory.

• gehan
  • gehan
15 years 4 months ago #101446 by gehan
Replied by gehan on topic Re:Community Builder Clone - *Must READ*
Hi James

I am interested in CB clone components ..How can I get it ...I am building employment web site ..and this will solve having two different profile , and login
Thank you very much
Rania

• orlisgal
  • orlisgal
15 years 2 months ago #106001 by orlisgal
Replied by orlisgal on topic Re:Community Builder Clone - *Must READ*
Exactly what this gentleman needs is exactly what I need, so I TOTALLY understand where he's coming from and feel his frustration. It's also frustrating to have someone not only not understand what you're trying to do, but then proceed to put you down for your ideas and then offer suggestions that have nothing to do with the issue.

I have a site that caters to the MMA fight industry. I want fighters to login and post their fighter stats, info and contact info, so that promoters can contact them.

I then want promoters to post their information, such as website info, contact info and info on their organization, so that fighters can find them and contact them if seeking out a fight.

The users are completely different, and the information required from each one is different, aside from the basic contact info such as name and phone number. Aside from that - it's all different.

Yet if a promoter wants to register on the site, they must include their weight, height, # of fights, pro, ammy or beginner...and more. Well - none of this applies to them!

So with all due respect, while I think CB is AWESOME for certain situations, and I really WISH it was perfect for me, sadly, since it does not allow me to have different user groups that have completely different log-in information, it is virtually useless for my circumstances.

Seriously, rather than put this gentleman down for trying to come up with a solution, perhaps you could work together to find one, because if you start reading through some of these forums you'll see there are a LOT of people with the same issue.

You should not be upset that CB does not work for all situations - to expect it to would not be realistic. But to be mad that someone has a need and is trying to utilize CB and adapt it to their needs instead of any of the other components out there is a compliment.

Seeing that this is a component that would only improve Community Builder and make it even better than it already is, I would think you'd want to incorporate it. I, for one, would find this to be much easier than setting up another site, once again installing CB on that new site, using up more of my hosting space, and then trying to incorporate the two into one site. I'm sorry - I'm just not an uber-programming and would probably not be able to do all that.

• krileon
  • krileon
15 years 2 months ago #106013 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re:Community Builder Clone - *Must READ*
CBSubs can address your issues in creating 2 instances of community builder without having to create 2 instances of community builder. Plans can be free if you want to and even hide the pricing so it just looks like 2 different types of profiles. You can hide fields based on the plan so then you could hide the fields that don't apply the promoters and vise versa.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon