Skip to Content Skip to Menu

Protect Fields: Allow AUTHORS

• ventasman
  • ventasman
15 years 10 months ago #82355 by ventasman
Protect Fields: Allow AUTHORS was created by ventasman
Hello Community. I have managed to change the plugin so it allow me to protect more than 4 fields. That improves it´s utilization a lot. Now what i need is to allow AUTHORS to modify the protected fields, just like the administrators.

Please, if you know where in the code is that line i´ll really apreciate that help.

Thank you!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• nant
  • nant
15 years 10 months ago #82361 by nant
Replied by nant on topic Re:Protect Fields: Allow AUTHORS
ventasman wrote:

Hello Community. I have managed to change the plugin so it allow me to protect more than 4 fields. That improves it´s utilization a lot. Now what i need is to allow AUTHORS to modify the protected fields, just like the administrators.

Please, if you know where in the code is that line i´ll really apreciate that help.

Thank you!

First of all, I honestly believe that with cb 1.2 there is no need for the protect fields plugin.

You can make any field read only - which means that the user cannot modify it after registration.

That's exactly what the protect fields plugin does.

Am I wrong?

• ventasman
  • ventasman
15 years 10 months ago #82367 by ventasman
Replied by ventasman on topic Re:Protect Fields: Allow AUTHORS
Hello Nick. Thank you for your answer. This plugin protect fields from being modified by user, but allows administrator to modify them. Yes it is similar to that CB core function you mention.

But

Then when users intents to modify or fill a field that is protected, the plugin gives them a JS notice that can indicate that they are not on the user group that is allowed to modify that field.

So if i have authors, for example, and the protect fields plugin can do it´s work only on the registered users, they can expose tabs and fields with more information about themselves, than registered users, enhancing they presence on the website.

I don´t need to protect fields from being filled or modified on my website, what i need is to protect fields from being filled or modified by certain user groups, just as this plugin does, except i need to lower the access level to authors.

That is the general idea.

By now, CB have to options: All users can modify a field on their profile or No one can do that, except by administrators. That setting must be refined since authors may need special identifications and credentials to be more credible.

• beat
  • beat
15 years 10 months ago #82375 by beat
Replied by beat on topic Re:Protect Fields: Allow AUTHORS
Probably the upcoming privacy plugin could solve a part of your problem on a per-field basis ?

Or a slightly modified version of it.

Sorry no time at this time to help on particular code, specially when you are not sharing your current version so that others could help ? ;)

Just attach your current version to a post, maybe a community member will be interested and join your effort ?

Beat - Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info

• ventasman
  • ventasman
15 years 10 months ago #82377 by ventasman

Post edited by: ventasman, at: 2008/12/14 21:58

• ventasman
  • ventasman
15 years 10 months ago #82378 by ventasman
Sorry Beat, this forum didn´t allowed me to upload files or paste code.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon