Skip to Content Skip to Menu

Great MAC tool for web building

• mediaguru
  • mediaguru
15 years 5 months ago #96945 by mediaguru
Great MAC tool for web building was created by mediaguru
I'm a MAC guy. I use dreamweaver for most of my coding, but it is a pain to have to FTP the files to my server, then run the scripts in a browser to check them.

On the MAC operating system Apache server is already installed. All you have to do to turn it on is turn on web sharking in system preferences. Then you can go into your configuration and turn on PHP and install MYSQL. Then you can have a working test server right on your system without all the FTPing to test scripts.

Ok great. The problem with that way, for me, was that I found it tough to configure and get it working right. I had to spend a lot of time in Terminal executing commands, installing, tweaking etc. Then I screwed something up and it took me two days to figure out how to fix it.

MAMP IS AWESOME

While poking around the web trying to figure out how to fix what I messed up, I found MAMP . I think MAMP is short for "mac apache mysql php." It is a cousin of LAMP "linux apache mysql php."

Basically you donwload MAMP and it puts a folder on your hard drive which already has apache, php and mysql working and ready to go. It seriously took me THREE mouse clicks to get it installed and working. It even has phpMyAdmin and a couple of other very useful utilities already installed and configured.

Since installing MAMP my progress on my own projects has increased greatly because I'm not spending all my time configuring my test server, I'm actually working.

CB/Joomla golf site: www.thegolfspace.com
Geek/joomla site: www.tkserver.com

Check out my Joomla/CB projects:

* LIKE thumbs up system for "liking" content items
* Karma - CB user rating system
* Golf Score Tracker
* Jitter - status update system. "What's on your mind?"
* CB Author Plug - Shows CB author link and avatar in content items. J1.5 compatible and very customizable!

Found on my web site or in the Joomlapolis Directory !

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon