Skip to Content Skip to Menu

[SOLVED] Retrieve user IP for cb field?

• socialfan
  • socialfan
13 years 5 months ago #164794 by socialfan
Replied by socialfan on topic Re: Retrieve user IP for cb field?
Thanks for this information. Next to spam protection IP adresses are very important vor legal stuff; especially for paid subscriptions but also for user that violate national law... of course the IP adress might not be true (anonymous proxy chain etc) at first but it can be.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 years 5 months ago #164814 by downunder_2
Replied by downunder_2 on topic Re: Retrieve user IP for cb field?
Thanks krileon, I have had captcha installed on my old CMS and they still tried constantly to get in, before deleting my old site and taking my new Joomla site live (yesterday) I ensured I had reCaptcha set up, and JoomlaWatch installed.
As with many people using my old CMS, my site has been under constant attack for years and I have been one of the very few who hasn't had to cry "my web site got hacked" but this was because IP's showed up in the registration emails and I could see what country they came from and if they had a hacking or spamming history.
I won't hack anything on my Joomla by adding extra code, I just thought there may have been some way to include IP's at time of registration either in the email or only visible to admin's in members "My Settings" tab.
Cheers

• krileon
  • krileon
13 years 4 months ago #165440 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re: Retrieve user IP for cb field?
IP is included at time of registration, please see my previous posts. I've also included how to retrieve that IP whether through query or substitution; either will work depending on location you need it. It doesn't display IP real time though; it stores it silently when they register.

Additionally for CBSubs anytime a purchase is made their IP Address at time of purchase is stored with their subscription in the column ip_addresses of table _cbsubs_subscriptions; it's also stored in _cbsubs_payments, _cbsubs_baskets, etc.. a users IP is tracked quite well and all said info is available for your usage in any way you see fit.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

13 years 4 months ago #165477 by downunder_2

I've also included how to retrieve that IP whether through query or substitution

Thanks krileon
Unfortunately I suffer Bipolar, learning problems, Fibromyalgia, Diabetes, and a few others which means I can't interpret, after 10 years of running web sites I still can't understand things written that way.
Please forget it now, I just wanted to include IP's in the registration information somehow so I could screen who I was letting into the web site.
My web site is totally free, no fees, no advertising, no donations, no sales, but even if there was it still doesn't address the screening issue.
Cheers

• krileon
  • krileon
13 years 4 months ago #166118 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re: Retrieve user IP for cb field?
IPs ARE included in the registration, they're stored in the database column registeripaddr within _comprofiler database table. How you retrieve it is up to you, but the easiest approach is to create a delimiter field and place [registeripaddr] as its contents. Then when viewing the users profile that delimiter field it will output the IP Address stored during registration.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.
The following user(s) said Thank You: socialfan

13 years 4 months ago #166146 by downunder_2
Thank you so much krileon, I will try that (keeping permissions to super admin for security)
I do appreciate the help

Moderators: beatnantkrileon