Skip to Content Skip to Menu

User Field Customization

13 years 2 months ago - 13 years 2 months ago #174409 by prindacerk
User Field Customization was created by prindacerk
Hi,

I'm looking for some help. If I want to setup a registration form where user enters an ID and then I display it as part of a URL string, how can I do it?

For example, I want to have a custom user registration field called "Unique ID" that takes numbers only. Then I want to display it as http://yourdomain.com?id=xxx&etc=1 where xxx represents the ID they entered in the registration field.

Logically I can do it 2 ways.
1) To record the ID in the database and then during display I can include it as part of the URL.
2) Before recording to the database, I can add it to the URL string and store the URL into the database.

Since only the ID will be different for each user and the rest remains the same, both techniques will work. But preference is for the 1st option as it would let me use the unique ID in various ways.

Can someone help me figure out how I can get this to work? The display will be in the profile of the user.
Last edit: 13 years 2 months ago by prindacerk.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• val1723
  • val1723
13 years 1 month ago #174769 by val1723
Replied by val1723 on topic Re: User Field Customization
Hi,

You may want to look into Joomla Extensions, and lookup Profile URL. It's a commercial extension but it does what you are looking to do.

Hope it helps!

extensions.joomla.org

13 years 1 month ago #174807 by prindacerk
Replied by prindacerk on topic Re: User Field Customization
Not really what I wanted. That is to customize the User profile URL in a certain way. What I am after is to customize a custom User Field added through CB for user to fill during registration that needs to be formatted in my way and be displayed.

• val1723
  • val1723
13 years 1 month ago #174995 by val1723
Replied by val1723 on topic Re: User Field Customization
I am not sure I completely understand what you are trying to do.

CB automatically assigns each user a unique user ID, which you can see when you access your user database. If you have SEO turned off, the user id shows up as part of the user URL when you click on a specific profile.

13 years 1 month ago #175361 by prindacerk
Replied by prindacerk on topic Re: User Field Customization

val1723 wrote: I am not sure I completely understand what you are trying to do.

CB automatically assigns each user a unique user ID, which you can see when you access your user database. If you have SEO turned off, the user id shows up as part of the user URL when you click on a specific profile.

Sorry for the delay. A bit caught up with some work.

Ok. Let me explain with an example. Don't take this literally because it's not what I'm trying to do. But something similar.

Take facebook as example. Facebook has a profile ID. Now in my registration, I will have a custom field called "Facebook Profile ID". Users can enter their ID like 100001xxxx928 (masking my actual no).

Then in their profile view, I will display a URL as www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001xxxx928 .

Now my purpose is not really for Facebook so other modules that do the linking to facebook doesn't matter in this situation. I'm wondering if there's any customization within CB or any extensions that would work with CB's custom field that I can use to do something like what I explained above.

• nant
  • nant
13 years 1 month ago #175376 by nant
Replied by nant on topic Re: User Field Customization
CB Delimiter field can do this.

I have written 2 magazine articles describing this (you can also become an Advanced/Professional member and download CB Documentation):

magazine.joomla.org/component/k2/itemlist/user/65-nicholasgantimisiaris
The following user(s) said Thank You: prindacerk

Moderators: beatnantkrileon