Skip to Content Skip to Menu

About "link to profile"

13 years 1 month ago #176401 by kittealand
About "link to profile" was created by kittealand
Hi Nant and thank you for taking your time on the forum!

As I understand it the "link to profile" is a global setting so can't be set indivdually for a list. Is there any way around this? I would like to have one list accessible for the public where only the name is shown and no active link to the profile and another list meant for registered users that are logged in, where the link is active.

I can of course hide certain information by putting it on a tab that is only viewable to registered users, but it's really not the optimal solution for me!

Any comment appreciated!

Also, I'm about to go crazy! Where in Joomla 1.7 can I change the setting so that a new user doesn't need a unique email adress?

BR
Krister
Finland

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• nant
  • nant
13 years 1 month ago #176408 by nant
Replied by nant on topic Re: About "link to profile"

kittealand wrote: Hi Nant and thank you for taking your time on the forum!

As I understand it the "link to profile" is a global setting so can't be set indivdually for a list. Is there any way around this? I would like to have one list accessible for the public where only the name is shown and no active link to the profile and another list meant for registered users that are logged in, where the link is active.

I believe that the user list itself can be configured to not link to not link to profiles.

Also, I'm about to go crazy! Where in Joomla 1.7 can I change the setting so that a new user doesn't need a unique email adress?

You cannot - as of Joomla 1.5 onwards the email address must be unique.

13 years 1 month ago #176435 by kittealand
Replied by kittealand on topic Re: About "link to profile"
Ok, the only reference at least I can find is on the configuration tab which is a general settting. I can't say what options I have where I create a menu link to a list since the parameters there are not shown due to some bug. But I checked on another site of mine that runs on Joomla 1.6.5 and no options for removing the profile link for a certain user list is mentioned there either.

I can live it it but it would have been nice! Thanks for your feedback though.
/Krister

13 years 1 month ago #176474 by pepperstreet
Replied by pepperstreet on topic Re: About "link to profile"

13 years 1 month ago #176478 by kittealand
Replied by kittealand on topic Re: About "link to profile"
:D I must say I'm a bit surprised this feature isn't available because at least I see an obvious need for it and it can't be that hard to program (don't you developers love to hear that comment! lol ).

I just started putting info I didn't want publicly available to a tab only accessible to registered users, but it just doesn't look good. Instead I will simply write the names in an article but it seems so unnecessary since I already have a list function and have to keep both in sync then!

/Krister

13 years 1 month ago #176491 by pepperstreet
Replied by pepperstreet on topic Re: About "link to profile"
Thanks for joining ;-)

If you know a jQuery-guru, it might work to load a script on the particular user-list page... and manipulate the DOM... i.e. remove the links. Just a workaround, but that would keep the usual list and field management.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon