• Cezacc
13 years 1 month ago - 12 years 11 months ago #177007 by Cezacc
Help me make up my mind. was created by Cezacc
Hi All,

Thank you very much for all your help.

Regards,
Cez.
Last edit: 12 years 11 months ago by Cezacc. Reason: No longer applicable

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• nant
  • nant
13 years 1 month ago #177027 by nant
Replied by nant on topic Re: Help me make up my mind.

Cezacc wrote: Hi All,

First of all I would like to say that I am new to website development. I want to create a website, which will serve as portal for hitchhikers/travellers to find information and travel companion. I have started and even had some traffic come to my website from google search, which a success for me. Website is called www.etramping.com . I work in Joomla! 1.5.X and do not want to change it because it is easy enough for me to use (I hae tried 1.6 and 1.7 before and it wasn't for me).

Welcome to our forums and to Joomla development.
As you can see Joomla makes it easy - however there is a lot to learn!

I have a dilemma. I am thinking about subscribing to advanced or professional membership, as I believe that good things come with price. However, I am not yet sure whether the products included will suit my needs. I've got few questions:

Advanced membership is a 12 month subscription that gives you everything listed on this page:
www.joomlapolis.com/cb-solutions/add-ons

Plus CB Detailed documentation (will help you get the most out of CB) and access to our Advanced Priority forum area (where team members give priority responses compared to other free community driven forum areas).

You get maintenance released for these extra add-ons during your 12 month subscription and at the end you get to keep of course and use whatever you downloaded on all your websites forever (no new maintenance releases of course - you would need to resubscribe for another year for new maintenance releases).

1) I want to use products provided by one developer for all my website needs, i.e. articles with comments, forum, gallery (linkable to profiles), messaging system, user-based blogs (important), facebook share/like buttons. Additionally, if possible, tickets system, maps (where user could mark where they are/were) and facebook-like chatbox. Is that all provided by CB? If not, what does it not include.

That is difficult to find - as everyone has a different use case.
For a forum you need to get something like Kunena (it works well with CB and CB has built in integration support for it).

For private messaging I suggest uddeIM (also supported on this forum). It also works well with CB and CB has integrated support for it.

Ticketing system, maps and chatbox are extras - you need to check the Joomla Extensions Directory for these.

Facebook integration is available as one of the extras for Advanced subscribers. You might need to work on the Like buttons (using CB delimiter field or some other module).

2) Although I have a paid hosting, it seems that my website is slow. Could it be associated with the use of few different modules which send seperate requests at the same time? If so, would my website be faster if I use CB products only?

Cannot comment on your website performance.
Could be the actual overbooking done on your shared host or some pourly written extension or module on your website also.

It could also be your template.

Performance is a huge issue.

3) I have some date on my website already (images and blogs), will they be lost if I change to CB products? Will different membership come with new CB installation, if so will I lose my registered users?

CB installation does not in anyway change existing data on your website.
You can install and remove CB and all your data and users will remain intact.

4) Finally, based on what I have just written, would I need advanced or professional membership, or maybe I should look for rather different kind of service somewhere else?

Sorry for all those noobish questions and thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,
Cez.

You could probably benefit from either one.
But to be honest (based on the questions) you have a lot to learn before you can take full advantage of either one.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon