Skip to Content Skip to Menu

Front end data adjust [newbie question]

• tgribble
  • tgribble
12 years 8 months ago #191639 by tgribble
Front end data adjust [newbie question] was created by tgribble
hello everyone, and thanks for the help in advance. i am new to cb. so please excuse the question if it is a simple one
i am struggling to figure this out

what we have is personal information for club members in one tab ( address / phone etc ) - members can adjust their own info

what i would like is club information in another tab on the same members page but in another tab which can not be adjusted by the member, but which can be adjusted by a higher heirachy ( eg committee member ) - information like club membership expiry , qualification , etc

the committee member would ideally be able to adjust the members data from the FRONT END of the website rather than the BACK END

is this possible?

thanks again

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• nant
  • nant
12 years 8 months ago #191645 by nant

tgribble wrote: hello everyone, and thanks for the help in advance. i am new to cb. so please excuse the question if it is a simple one
i am struggling to figure this out

Welcome to our forums and to Community Builder!

If you like Community Builder please consider taking the time to post a review on our extensions listing here:
extensions.joomla.org/extensions/clients-a-communities/communities/210

Also consider becoming a member to get more add-ons and better support:
www.joomlapolis.com/memberships

what we have is personal information for club members in one tab ( address / phone etc ) - members can adjust their own info

Simple enough to do - just create CB fields (CB Field manager) and add them to a Personal Information tab (CB Tab Manager)

what i would like is club information in another tab on the same members page but in another tab which can not be adjusted by the member, but which can be adjusted by a higher heirachy ( eg committee member ) - information like club membership expiry , qualification , etc

the committee member would ideally be able to adjust the members data from the FRONT END of the website rather than the BACK END

is this possible?

thanks again

Create the club information tab and publish it for higher group (e.g., author).
This way fields on the tab will only be viewable by author users.

Make authors cb moderators and configure CB to allow moderators to edit user profiles in frontend.

• tgribble
  • tgribble
12 years 8 months ago #191666 by tgribble
Replied by tgribble on topic Re: Front end data adjust [newbie question]
Thanks for the reply

Doing it that way would the member be able to view but not adjust their club info?

Ideally all member club info would be viewable by only the individual , but any committee member could adjust club info for any member on the front end.

Thanks.

• nant
  • nant
12 years 8 months ago #191668 by nant

tgribble wrote: Thanks for the reply

Doing it that way would the member be able to view but not adjust their club info?

Ideally all member club info would be viewable by only the individual , but any committee member could adjust club info for any member on the front end.

Thanks.

If you want people to see their own info, then you have 2 ways.

1. Follow previous suggestion and use CB Delimiter field to show protected data to user.

2. Forget previous suggestion and just make member data fields read-only. This means that backend editing is needed.

• tgribble
  • tgribble
12 years 8 months ago #191730 by tgribble
Replied by tgribble on topic Re: Front end data adjust [newbie question]
thanks again for the reply.

i have almost figured it out...

currently, the member information i want to be editable by the committee member is able to be edited, but i am unable to make it so the member is read only on the same info.

is this possible?

again what i am after is... :whistle:

1. member can edit his own personal data ( name / address etc )
2. member can view club data ( expiry, etc etc )
3. committee member can edit member personal data.
4. committee member can edit member club data.

i hope this makes sense?

thanks again

• tgribble
  • tgribble
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #191828 by tgribble

nant wrote:
If you want people to see their own info, then you have 2 ways.

1. Follow previous suggestion and use CB Delimiter field to show protected data to user.

2. Forget previous suggestion and just make member data fields read-only. This means that backend editing is needed.

can you please assist me with more details on the option 1? i understand what you mean to display the info of the user in a delimeinter field.

i have tried to write code to display only information of the user, but have not succeded. any tips would help

thanks

UPDATE
solution = substitution via delimiter field.

www.allmysocials.com/directory/tutorials/item/233-substitution-usage
Last edit: 12 years 8 months ago by tgribble.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon