Skip to Content Skip to Menu

Any Stop Forum Spam Add-on?

12 years 4 months ago - 12 years 4 months ago #202777 by Privateer247
Replied by Privateer247 on topic Re: Any Stop Forum Spam Add-on?
Hi nant,

nant wrote: no real plans for this.

Oh dear, that's a real shame! :(

The website that I'm working on will use the following:
  • Joomla
  • phpBB
  • Bridge to link/synchronise Joomla and phpBB

I was hoping to use Community Builder too, because of the benefits that it brings along with CB add-ons such as CB Captcha. so that all user registration/logins could be done via one entity i.e. Community Builder (plus add-ons) so that regular users would be welcomed and spammers would be rejected.

However without using the Stop Forum Spam database (and other similar databases) Community Builder and its add-ons are missing a major if not essential functionality in today's fight against the spammer!

There are apparently Joomla add-ons that can make use of the Stop Forum Spam database (and other similar databases) so I may have to investigate them.

So I ask the CB Captcha team to consider adding the ability to check the Stop Forum Spam database (and other similar databases) for registering new users and for when existing users return and login.

Regards,
Last edit: 12 years 4 months ago by Privateer247.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 years 6 months ago #243561 by

10 years 6 months ago #243564 by Privateer247
Hi c_schmitz,

Thanks for the post.

I stayed with Joomla, I decided to use Kunena instead of phpBB as Kunena is a component of Joomla that doesn't require any bridges, I found a very useful Joomla extension that uses Stop Forum Spam which is called SpambotCheck , by vi-solutions. SpambotCheck works really well.

Unfortunately I had to drop the use of Community Builder because SpambotCheck only worked with the standard Joomla login component (not the Community Builder login) and the control of spam is far more important to me than the things that Community Builder offered me.

When I get time, I may have a look at your plugin in for Community Builder but as I've already said - I do like SpambotCheck and if vi-solutions develop SpambotCheck so that it can be used with Community Builder then I would seriously consider using Community Builder.

My website is still very much a work in progress, but you can see it at:

www.ruralshows.com/

Kind Regards,

10 years 6 months ago #243771 by
Replied by on topic Re: Any Stop Forum Spam Add-on?
I see. Hopefully it might help someone else. Just using my plugin almost all Kunena forum spam is gone now and it works with the Community builder registration.

You can download it at github.com/c-schmitz/cb-plugin-stopforumspam

9 years 5 months ago #263342 by Privateer247
Hi c_schmitz,

I'm thinking of creating a new site, it will be based on current Joomla with possibly Kunena as well.

I wish to use Community Builder this time but I still want to use the stopforumspam data.

Your CB Stopforumspam plugin checks registration attempts against the stopforumspam database but does it have the ability to also check the stopforumspam database every time a user logs on?

I ask because a user may be unknown to the stopforumspam database and then get registered - if that user then becomes known to the stopforumspam database they should not be allowed to logon on their next attempt.

Many thanks,

Moderators: beatnantkrileon