Skip to Content Skip to Menu

native mobile app

• goutosig
  • goutosig
12 years 3 months ago #204990 by goutosig
native mobile app was created by goutosig
Hi all,

I want to build a social network for native iphone/ipad application. Instead of building the db and all the server-side programming, I consider using a framework like Joomla+CB.

Do you think it is a reasonable option to redesign the code to communicate with a native app (mostly JSON I think) instead of a web browser?

Once logged in, I need to connect to the db and fire the appropriate triggers when editing it I guess?

thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• beat
  • beat
12 years 3 months ago #205108 by beat
Replied by beat on topic Re: native mobile app
Not sure to understand correctly the question. Trying to guess:

Are you a iOS developer wishing to contribute an iOS open-source App for CB ?

The CB framework can sure be used for doing the server-side and desktop web user interface.

Beat - Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info

• goutosig
  • goutosig
12 years 3 months ago #205123 by goutosig
Replied by goutosig on topic Re: native mobile app
Hi,

Are you a iOS developer

yes

wishing to contribute an iOS open-source App for CB ?

I was more thinking in using CB for my app :), but it can be open source that is no problem. Is that an implicit message concerning the license, that my work HAS to be open source if I use CB? I'll do my homework and read it in detail.

The CB framework can sure be used for doing the server-side and desktop web user interface.

It would be a native iOS app, so there would not be a desktop web user interface. I need the server-side only, and I am wondering how much time I need to get familiar with the API.

Thanks for your reply,

Guillaume

• beat
  • beat
12 years 3 months ago #205125 by beat
Replied by beat on topic Re: native mobile app
As you went into the legal aspect: Just to clarify on the licensing side (i am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice):
GPL does not force you to write your own code as GPL, specially if it is not the same application.
But if you want to distribute derivative work, it must be under the GPL license too, if you are not the copyright holder of the work that is derived from.

My question was not a legal one, but more of a general approach one. Open Source is about sharing and contributing. We are contributing Community Builder to the community for free, and can't ourselves build all aspects for it, that's we also rely on contributions back from the community. And that's where we prefer to spend our resources to help knowledgeable people contributing back. :-)

The CB API is not very complex, and is documented in a free document downloadable from our free Downloads section. Time to get familiar depends greatly of the level of expertise.

Beat - Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info

Moderators: beatnantkrileon