Skip to Content Skip to Menu

On 'Hide Empty Searches' parameter tip

10 years 5 days ago - 10 years 5 days ago #250852 by AlexSmirnov
On 'Hide Empty Searches' parameter tip was created by AlexSmirnov
Hi guys,

Currently the tip for the "Hide Empty Searches" (default member list "Members List" -> tab "Parameter" -> sub-tab "Search") states:

"Whether a list should hide the results of an empty search. This will result in List All and no search criteria results hiding the results and showing the search criteria only."

On my last night CB build, when at the CB backend I open the default "Members List" members list, turn the "Hide Empty Searches" parameter from default "No" to "Yes" and go to this list front page via created for this list menu item:

1) I see all the members disappear:

this is the "Members List" with the "Hide Empty Searches" set to the default option "No":

and here with "0 members" displayed:

This right away creates with a visitor viewing this list a "WTH" moment as your tip doesn't mention that upon setting the "Hide Empty Searches" to "Yes", users profiles will disappear from the list front page.

2) "Whether a list should hide the results of an empty search"

"empty search" naturally means a search run against an empty field, which is "Username" in this case. When I click on the "Find User" with empty "Username" field, nothing happens: no "List All" knob showing up, not even an error message displayed, instead I see "0 members". So, "the results" then are not of "an empty search", are they?

When I call still the same "Members List" members list from created for this list menu item, enter a non-existing dummy username "ddd" into "Username" and click on "Find Users", then the "List All" knob does show up, which is cool, but underneath I see: "Search results" -> horizontal bar -> "No users in this list":

Hello?! Here comes another "foo" moment, and I even didn't click on the "List All" button yet.

If my above search has been run within the frame of my "Members List" member list, then the "No users in this list" error message doesn't make any sense. It would make sense if this resulting message would go "No users with such username in this list".

All in all, in my opinion, in its current incarnation this tip needs total rewrite as whatever the "Hide Empty Searches" parameter set to option "Yes" does, on the tin it doesn't say what it does.

Cheers.

AkeebaBackup.RU - безопасность Вашего Community Builder
Не тратьте свое и мое время впустую, - личные сообщения, отправленные без моего приглашения, удаляются без чтения.
Attachments:
Last edit: 10 years 5 days ago by AlexSmirnov.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon