Skip to Content Skip to Menu

Community Builder no longer sending emails

• BasilC
  • BasilC
7 years 1 week ago #297998 by BasilC
For a while now Community Builder has not been sending emails to people who sign up and the mass mailing function does not work. I get the following error message:

Error sending email: SMTP connect() failed. github.com/PHPMailer/PHPMailer/wiki/Troubleshooting

The SMTP settings are definitely correct and work when tested in Global Configuration. I am using ElasticEmail SMtP settings and the ElasticEmail Joomla plugin and component.

Sending emails from other components, eg Acymailing, also works properly.

Community Builder will send mass emails when global configuration is set to php mailer, but I need to use ElasticEmail

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• krileon
  • krileon
7 years 1 week ago #298000 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Community Builder no longer sending emails
Your ElasticEmail plugin is for Joomla and not CB. They would need to design it to work with CB. Your SMTP settings are probably not valid for standard SMTP mailer usage. Enable debug mode and maximum error reporting in Joomla global configuration to see if any further error information is output to try and see why the connection fails.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

• BasilC
  • BasilC
7 years 1 week ago #298011 by BasilC
Replied by BasilC on topic Community Builder no longer sending emails
Thanks for the reply.

Well, I'm confused now. Rather than exposing error reporting to the public, I thought I'd try on my development site. I made sure that the email settings were identical to the public site and sent a "mass mail" from CB to one of my own emails. It got through. There was no error message.

I then went back to the public website, enabled maximum error reporting and repeated the experiment. This time the mail wasn't sent, same error as before. No additional error message.

I enabled debugging, but have no idea what to make of the contents of the console.What should I be looking for and where?

• krileon
  • krileon
7 years 1 week ago #298013 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Community Builder no longer sending emails
I've no idea. The SMTP connection failed. This typically means the host, username, password, etc.. one of those parameters is configured wrong. Could also be the SMTP server blocking the email from sending from your domain. Ensure within CB > Registration > Configuration that the registration from email matches your domain or the SMTP domain as it could be trying to send emails from a domain you're not authorized to use (which would be email spoofing).

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

• BasilC
  • BasilC
7 years 1 week ago #298018 by BasilC
Replied by BasilC on topic Community Builder no longer sending emails
I've been doing more testing and getting mixed results. First I tried the alternative host/port configuration for ElasticEmail - using port 25 - and it worked! However, that situation didn't last and the same error messages came back. So I switched back to the port 2525 host name that wasn't working before and suddenly it is working. But for how long?

So it looks like ElasticEmail has intermittent problems with messages sent from CB via its relay service, so I guess my best plan is to raise this with them and see if they can figure it out. Perhaps they will have a record of the failed attempts.

In the meantime, perhaps I should switch to using PHPmailer.

Thanks for your help.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon