Skip to Content Skip to Menu

CB Login Redirection URL: 404 Error

11 years 11 months ago #213844 by candlelight2007
CB Login Redirection URL: 404 Error was created by candlelight2007
Joomla 2.5.7, CB 1.8.1

I have CB installed on a freshly installed Joomla. I have a public Main Menu set up with several simple menu items pointing to articles. I also have a User Menu for registered users only, which in turn has several items. One of the items on the User Menu is called My Dashboard. It points to a page which I want to be the landing page when user logs in. CB Registration, CB login and User Profile all work like a charm except for one little thing: when I set Login Redirection URL to index.php/my-dashboard it brings me to My Dashboard page ONLY if I log in from the main page. If I log in from any other public page (like About or Contact Us) it gives me '404 Category not found' page. What is odd is that the link it is trying to get me to is not index.php/my-dashboard (what I would expect) but index.php/my-dashboard/about (or index.php/my-dashboard/contact) for some reason.

The funny part is that if I enable original Joomla core Login and log in with it - redirection works like a charm and takes me to My Dashboard without fail no matter which page I log in from.

I saw some people suggest turning off SEF in Global Config but all it seems to do is to ignore Login Redirection URL and bring user to the same page, which is fine but not what I want.

Is there a setting I am missing? If you feel that this topic has been previously discussed somewhere (although I couldn't find anything) a link would be appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• nant
  • nant
11 years 11 months ago #213860 by nant
Replied by nant on topic Re: CB Login Redirection URL: 404 Error
turn sef off
find unsefed url for redirection destination you want
use unsefed url in CB login module redirection
test with sef off
turn sef on
test with sef on
The following user(s) said Thank You: candlelight2007

11 years 11 months ago #213871 by candlelight2007
Replied by candlelight2007 on topic Re: CB Login Redirection URL: 404 Error
Thanks for the tip! Appreciated.

I guess I'm still pretty new to it so I couldn't figure out an easy way to find non-SEF URLs in my configuration (short of installing another third party extension) but while searching for it I did stumble into a workaround.

I went to Components >> Redirect and discovered a few expired links that looked very much like the ones that were giving me 404 Error. So it gave me an idea and I decided to change one of them to my desired destination URL. And - what do you know - it worked! Now I realize that it may not be a "correct" solution and it probably could become a hassle when you have many links from where users can log in. Luckily I don't - so it worked for me.

• nant
  • nant
11 years 11 months ago #213880 by nant
Replied by nant on topic Re: CB Login Redirection URL: 404 Error

candlelight2007 wrote: Thanks for the tip! Appreciated.

I guess I'm still pretty new to it so I couldn't figure out an easy way to find non-SEF URLs in my configuration (short of installing another third party extension) but while searching for it I did stumble into a workaround.

I gave you a way - just turn SEF off and check your frontend for unseffed url!

I went to Components >> Redirect and discovered a few expired links that looked very much like the ones that were giving me 404 Error. So it gave me an idea and I decided to change one of them to my desired destination URL. And - what do you know - it worked! Now I realize that it may not be a "correct" solution and it probably could become a hassle when you have many links from where users can log in. Luckily I don't - so it worked for me.

You should always use unseffed URLs when setting up your site.

11 years 11 months ago #213888 by candlelight2007
Replied by candlelight2007 on topic Re: CB Login Redirection URL: 404 Error
Got it! I didn't realize that URL actually changes when you turn SEF on or off. Learned something today. :)

Thanks for the tip, Nick. Works like a charm! Much appreciated!

Moderators: beatnantkrileon