Skip to Content Skip to Menu

Researcher Community

• dmoorefus
  • dmoorefus
14 years 7 months ago #125376 by dmoorefus
Researcher Community was created by dmoorefus
Hi all -

I have a CB subscription and have been investigating GroupJive as well to see if it will accomplish what I need. Perhaps what I'm looking for will invovle CBSubs as well.

In order to figure out if CBSubs is the missing component of what we're trying to build, here's some requirements below:
  • On a publicly accessible website, allow researchers to register for a private section of the website (done just using native Joomla registration)
  • Once within the Researcher section of the website, users can apply for or be invited into specific research groups
  • If accepted by the group administrator, users are able to access content only available to that group (articles, modules, private forums, etc)

Will CBSubs allow the ACL control I'm looking for?

Will it cooperate with GroupJive to allow group access to content like articles (I know GJ works with Kunena forums - although I'm having trouble getting that to work properly)

Does the subscription function of CBSubs work in a fashion where people could sign up for groups and be admitted if approved (rather than based on a payment option)?

Could a member be a member of one than one 'group' in the sense that he could see two areas of content if he's member's of those groups.

Thanks much - I know this is a lot of information to comment on, but I'm trying to find a solution that will work with our Joomla/CB setup fairly quickly...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• krileon
  • krileon
14 years 7 months ago #125384 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re:Researcher Community

Will it cooperate with GroupJive to allow group access to content like articles (I know GJ works with Kunena forums - although I'm having trouble getting that to work properly)

GroupJive does not work like Usergroups; please do not confuse the two. GroupJive works in the same manner Groups on Facebook or MySpace work. They do not control access to your site... at all.

Does the subscription function of CBSubs work in a fashion where people could sign up for groups and be admitted if approved (rather than based on a payment option)?

Yes, CBSubs can offer Subscriptions (Plans) to users to gain additional access to your site. Using Offline Payment gateway users would need admins to "Pay" their Baskets for their subscription to activate. In a sense will require admin approval.

Could a member be a member of one than one 'group' in the sense that he could see two areas of content if he's member's of those groups.

Yes, users can have multiple subscriptions to different plans if you configure your plans this way (non-Exclusive).

Hope this answers your questions sufficiently; please let me know if you've any further questions. B)

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

• dmoorefus
  • dmoorefus
14 years 7 months ago #125386 by dmoorefus
Replied by dmoorefus on topic Re:Researcher Community
Thanks for the response.

I realize GroupJive doesn't work on it's own as a access control mechanism, but I didn't know if any integration had been done with CBSubs to allow such a thing.

Having a group with membership which then provides access to certain content isn't that far-fetched idea and wouldn't seem to be that uncommon of a problem. I'm just trying to figure out the best way to provide it...

Before I plunge down trying to make this work with CBSubs, any comment on as to how 'hacked' it will look to the end user to apply for membership in some of the groups?

If it will look something like 'Click here to join this group for a fee of $0', that'd probably look too unprofessional.

But, if it could be made to look like 'Click here to request joining this group' and then 'Thanks - we'll notify you of your acceptance!', then that might work.

Alternatively, if there's a better set of tools that someone could recommend to accomplish what I'm looking for, I'd appreciate it. To the point of paying for it... ;)

Thanks!

• krileon
  • krileon
14 years 7 months ago #125505 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re:Researcher Community

But, if it could be made to look like 'Click here to request joining this group' and then 'Thanks - we'll notify you of your acceptance!', then that might work.

Of course this is doable; you've full control over language strings and how your plan is presented to a user. B)

Again, GroupJive does not provide controls to content; CBSubs can not extend GroupJive to do this either. CBSubs can only control existing features, not create features. You could use the GroupJive integration for CBSubs to force a user to join a specific group however and appear as if the group is controlling access. ;)

Example:
GroupJive Group = Author
CBSubs Plan = Author

CBSubs plan adds user to GroupJive Group Author.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon