Skip to Content Skip to Menu

[SOLVED] Question - CBsub - Profile - Database

• Eirikur_J
  • Eirikur_J
14 years 7 months ago #126809 by Eirikur_J
I am using Community Builder and am hitting a few walls. It has become clear that I need to add CBsub to a site I am working on really soon. I have been looking over the CBsub package and I have a few questions.

Does the CBsub use the original CB profile as a base element which then different plans access in a predefined way or does the CBsub want to break down the profiles into different instances?

What I am asking is if you have teachers and students. The teachers sees all the students (info, blog, gallery etc.) but the students don't see each other. Do then the teachers and student use the same profile with different access to that profile or does the CBsub make a profile_teacher profile for the teacher and then profile_student for the student?

And what happens if I want to break up the students? student_english and student_hindi etc. do I put all the different variables into the original profile and then allow or disallow access to different sections or do I make different profiles in CBsub which fit different languages (sign languages would have other characteristics (elements in the database) than english, which again have different characteristics than chinese).

If the CBsub wants to break down the profile into sections what then happens to the architecture of the site. Does then the original profile disappear (disabled) or is that particular profile (the base one which was made first) doomed to be always the odd one out?

I don't know If I am making my self clear here. I would like to know how I should approach the CBsub as I have not used it before. Please ask if you need more info in order to answer me.

With respect and hope of some answers.

Eiríkur Jónsson

Post edited by: krileon, at: 2010/03/16 17:37

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• krileon
  • krileon
14 years 7 months ago #126863 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re:Question - CBsub - Profile - Database
CBSubs does not break up the profile, but uses integrations to help control elements of a profile. Such as Plan A could grant access to Tab A whereis Plan B can grant access to Tab B, but Plan A can't see Tab B and vise versa.

This is how you create unique and different profiles based off plans; you can also do the same for Fields, which can also be controlled to hide/show at Registration based off plan selection.

The integration you'll need to use (provided as part of CBSubs package) is CBSubs Fields Tabs Protection.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

• Eirikur_J
  • Eirikur_J
14 years 7 months ago #126875 by Eirikur_J
Replied by Eirikur_J on topic Re:Question - CBsub - Profile - Database
Thank you so much for the answer.

One follow up question.

After upgrading to CBsub, do I then sort my users down into plans when I upgrade or do I need to start with an empty database?

All the best

EJ

• nant
  • nant
14 years 7 months ago #126884 by nant
Replied by nant on topic Re:Question - CBsub - Profile - Database
Eirikur_J wrote:

Thank you so much for the answer.

One follow up question.

After upgrading to CBsub, do I then sort my users down into plans when I upgrade or do I need to start with an empty database?

All the best

EJ

CBSubs has an import feature that allows you to assign existing registered users into newly created CBSubs plans.

• Eirikur_J
  • Eirikur_J
14 years 7 months ago #126900 by Eirikur_J
Replied by Eirikur_J on topic Re:Question - CBsub - Profile - Database
Thank you.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon