Skip to Content Skip to Menu

How to display subscription-specific content

• ragibbons
  • ragibbons
14 years 4 months ago #134193 by ragibbons
Hello,

I am creating a large content site with addiction/recovery resources. I would like to set up a subscription plan for each area of addiction, such as gambling, substance abuse, etc. so that when the user logs in, their homepage only shows content relevant to them.

1. With CB Subs I know I can specific that users only see certain menus or modules but can I have the homepage only pull content specific to a subscription plan, for example the news feed, or list of recent articles, or forum postings. I want their whole experience to be custom to their type of content. But can I put all of the content into 1 database?

2. In case they select more than 1 type of content with their subscription plan, can I set up tabs so they can switch between the different types of content without intermingling the content?

Thanks,
Angie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• krileon
  • krileon
14 years 4 months ago #134198 by krileon

1. With CB Subs I know I can specific that users only see certain menus or modules but can I have the homepage only pull content specific to a subscription plan, for example the news feed, or list of recent articles, or forum postings. I want their whole experience to be custom to their type of content. But can I put all of the content into 1 database?

Don't understand, in 1 database? Joomla already uses 1 database for it self and its extensions. CBSubs doesn't control pulling or placing of content of any sort. CBSubs only controls access to that content. It can NOT add features to anything. In most simplest of terms it is access controller only. You could use modules to display feeds, etc.. on frontpage then protect those modules via CBSubs on a plan by plan basis, this would give you the results you're wanting.

2. In case they select more than 1 type of content with their subscription plan, can I set up tabs so they can switch between the different types of content without intermingling the content?

I suppose as long as you've an extension that allows tabbed modules. You could use such an extension to display 4-5 modules in 1 module location and switch between them via tabs. Then protect those modules via CBSubs. This should allow tabbed based content encase of multiple subscriptions. You'd need to search Joomla.org extensions directory for such an extension, but do know they exist.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

• ragibbons
  • ragibbons
14 years 4 months ago #134282 by ragibbons
Replied by ragibbons on topic Re:How to display subscription-specific content
Thank you for your response.

If a module is protected by a plan, does it not show up or is just not clickable?

Could I put more than one module into one position on my template and then protect or hide the modules that aren't part of a user's subscription so only the appropriate content shows up?

Thanks again,
Angie

• krileon
  • krileon
14 years 4 months ago #134365 by krileon

If a module is protected by a plan, does it not show up or is just not clickable?

Protected modules do not show to those who are not subscribed to the plan protecting it.

Could I put more than one module into one position on my template and then protect or hide the modules that aren't part of a user's subscription so only the appropriate content shows up?

Yes, for example you could have 3 plans and each plan protects 1 module in the position top. Each plan is also exclusive so users can only subscribe to 1 of the 3 plans. This would then mean the module in the top position will show based off the users subscription.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon