Skip to Content Skip to Menu

[SOLVED] Check sub via Excel/VBA

14 years 4 months ago #135202 by AppliedResearch
[SOLVED] Check sub via Excel/VBA was created by AppliedResearch
I have an Excel application that I would like to restrict to users who have a current (paid) subscription.

Is this possible via CB and CBSubs? Thanks.

Post edited by: krileon, at: 2010/06/11 15:29

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• nant
  • nant
14 years 4 months ago #135209 by nant
Replied by nant on topic Re:Check sub via Excel/VBA
AppliedResearch wrote:

I have an Excel application that I would like to restrict to users who have a current (paid) subscription.

Is this possible via CB and CBSubs? Thanks.

You mean you have a file (excel) that you want only subscribers to be able to download?

If yes, then CBSubs can do this with DOCman.

14 years 4 months ago #135214 by AppliedResearch
Replied by AppliedResearch on topic Re:Check sub via Excel/VBA
No I need more than that; I want the Excel spreadsheet to ask for a username/password and check the sub each time the spreadsheet is opened.

I know how to code the form in XL, but I need a way to take the username/password that is entered and check it against the Joomla user database.

I could probably open an IE object and populate the Joomla login form, but I thought maybe CB would have a better solution than that.

• krileon
  • krileon
14 years 4 months ago #135298 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re:Check sub via Excel/VBA
Your could use CBSubs Folder Access and add htpasswd protection to a folder that contains your excel files. Users could then directly access the excel file and upon attempting to will be requested their username and password. Please note this is a complicated configuration and does require many trial and error until configured correctly. I do not recommend it to those who are less knowledgeable with web development and htaccess files. Otherwise your best alternative is as Nick has suggested. A user must be logged in to be subscribed. Therefor when attempting to access via Docman they'll already be logged in, why ask them to login again?

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

14 years 4 months ago #135305 by AppliedResearch
Replied by AppliedResearch on topic Re:Check sub via Excel/VBA
Sorry, I wasn't clear enough. The XL spreadsheets will be downloaded by the user who can change some of the data (but not the functionality). The user can even have multiple copies as the data will change regularly.

Since the XL files will be local, the user will not have to login to the website directly; that is why I need the XL file to be able to check login credentials.

I can write the VBA code that will open an IE object, navigate to the login page, load the username/password and wait for an accept/reject before allowing access to the spreadsheet.

I thought maybe CB would have a better method but this will probably work. Thanks.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon