Skip to Content Skip to Menu

[SOLVED] some questions - pricing/functionality

• startup
  • startup
  • Add-ons
14 years 4 months ago #135664 by startup
Hello CBSubs team,

I have a few questions re CBSubs and after searching the forum I think I have a few of the answers but sure. If you can confirm, would be great. And then I still have some questions for which I did not find answers.

1. CBsubs license is a floating license so as long as the system is deployed on one production site and one development site all should work well re of changing domains, IPs, etc. I think this is a yes. Correct?

2. There was a video (part 3 something) on this site where the presenter used slides with date 15th november 2008 in the footer. He was talking about a pricing model based on 'cents per transaction' if I understood correctly. Has that materialized somehow or is the only pricing model based on amount of users? It appears this did not make it to the final version?

3. Re licensing price determination: The 'amount of users in CMS' as basis for determining the plan: Does that means the number of total users a site has, regardless of how many of these users might use the free functions/contents of a site vs. how many would actually make a payment which would be processed through CBSubs, to access commercial portions of the site? I.e., if a site has 10000 users and 1000 of them choose to use the premium part of it which in turn requires CBSubs, is the license price then for 1000 or for 10000 users? I read the text as 10000, but maybe I am wrong?

4. Gifting. Does CBSubs support the use case of a non-registered user of a site make a payment transaction to purchase a subscription to this for another user, who would then be able to register for a premium account without having to pay himself? For example, I pay a subscription package for you, and you get an email that XYZ bought you subsription to XYZ-news.com, just go and sign up and enjoy premium content today. I did not find an answer to this one.

5. Is it possible to set up coupons / redemption codes with CBSubs? For example, can I configure a CBSubs installation so that I could do so that the first 100 users registering with 'free-news-promo' get an offering which I would normally charge 10USD for free? I did not find an answer to this one.

6. Geo-location. Is there a possibility to charge different prices for otherwise the same plan based on a user's location (let's simply assume that users will enter their correct location manually or it's possible to otherwise correctly detect location). For example, is it possible to sell monthly subscription to XYZ-news.com for a higher price in a developed country and for a lower price in less wealthy nations? For avoidance of confusion, I am not referring to exchange rate calculations. I did not find an answer to this one.

7. License transferability. I am considering launching a company around a site I want to develop. I would like to purchase a CBSubs license prior to incorporating. Would you be so kind to permit transfer of a 'personal license' (not sure this is the correct term) to the then incorporated company? I was not able to find an answer to that one. From several forums posts, I have the impression that you kindly allow developers to transfer licenses to clients. I was hoping this could apply also to this case?

Thank you very much for taking the time to respond to my questions!!

Post edited by: krileon, at: 2010/06/18 20:57

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• nant
  • nant
14 years 4 months ago #135705 by nant
startup wrote:

Hello CBSubs team,

I have a few questions re CBSubs and after searching the forum I think I have a few of the answers but sure. If you can confirm, would be great. And then I still have some questions for which I did not find answers.

Wow - long list ... getting coffee ...

1. CBsubs license is a floating license so as long as the system is deployed on one production site and one development site all should work well re of changing domains, IPs, etc. I think this is a yes. Correct?

Correct. As long as user count and number of sites are respected everything is ok.

2. There was a video (part 3 something) on this site where the presenter used slides with date 15th november 2008 in the footer. He was talking about a pricing model based on 'cents per transaction' if I understood correctly. Has that materialized somehow or is the only pricing model based on amount of users? It appears this did not make it to the final version?

That's correct. There was a community debate and people did not like that model, so we reached this one. Only license available is the one based on user count.

3. Re licensing price determination: The 'amount of users in CMS' as basis for determining the plan: Does that means the number of total users a site has, regardless of how many of these users might use the free functions/contents of a site vs. how many would actually make a payment which would be processed through CBSubs, to access commercial portions of the site? I.e., if a site has 10000 users and 1000 of them choose to use the premium part of it which in turn requires CBSubs, is the license price then for 1000 or for 10000 users? I read the text as 10000, but maybe I am wrong?

Believe that 'amount of users in CMS' is clear enough. All users in your CMS database are counted (as potential customers). In your example you would need a license count that supports 10000 users.

4. Gifting. Does CBSubs support the use case of a non-registered user of a site make a payment transaction to purchase a subscription to this for another user, who would then be able to register for a premium account without having to pay himself? For example, I pay a subscription package for you, and you get an email that XYZ bought you subsription to XYZ-news.com, just go and sign up and enjoy premium content today. I did not find an answer to this one.

Currently this is not available - at least not fully automated.

I guess you could create a merchandise item called maybe 'purchase a subscription for a friend' and then create some additional functionality to inform the recipient of gift and sign-up process.

This is probably a good future feature request to make things more automated, but its not currently supported out of the box.

5. Is it possible to set up coupons / redemption codes with CBSubs? For example, can I configure a CBSubs installation so that I could do so that the first 100 users registering with 'free-news-promo' get an offering which I would normally charge 10USD for free? I did not find an answer to this one.

Planned feature for CBSubs 1.2. So currently not available.

6. Geo-location. Is there a possibility to charge different prices for otherwise the same plan based on a user's location (let's simply assume that users will enter their correct location manually or it's possible to otherwise correctly detect location). For example, is it possible to sell monthly subscription to XYZ-news.com for a higher price in a developed country and for a lower price in less wealthy nations? For avoidance of confusion, I am not referring to exchange rate calculations. I did not find an answer to this one.

No such feature available. Perhaps it can be supported by the 'Options' plugin (used when purchasing the CBSubs license on this site) when its released.

7. License transferability. I am considering launching a company around a site I want to develop. I would like to purchase a CBSubs license prior to incorporating. Would you be so kind to permit transfer of a 'personal license' (not sure this is the correct term) to the then incorporated company? I was not able to find an answer to that one. From several forums posts, I have the impression that you kindly allow developers to transfer licenses to clients. I was hoping this could apply also to this case?

Doable, but there would be a license transfer fee that must be applied as it involves manual work on our database. Your best approach would be to purchase this license from a separate Joomlapolis username account and then give the account to your client.

Thank you very much for taking the time to respond to my questions!!

Your welcome - thanks for thinking about your specific needs and compiling this list - easier for both sides.

• startup
  • startup
  • Add-ons
14 years 4 months ago #135708 by startup
Thank you for taking the time to respond to all questions in my long post. I hope you did not have to get a coffee refill before you made it to the end ;)

May I ask one more question: Is there a roadmap available publicly somewhere for CBSubs? I do understand that things always change, especially the further out they are. A rough plan to go by would be fine.

Thanks again and keep up the good work!

• krileon
  • krileon
14 years 4 months ago #135808 by krileon

Is there a roadmap available publicly somewhere for CBSubs? I do understand that things always change, especially the further out they are. A rough plan to go by would be fine.

Not currently, we use an internal roadmap to plan our progress, but is not yet available as we've not fully discussed yet if we will be making it available and if so when. Currently we're working to release CB 1.2.3 shortly following CBSubs 1.1 (2checkout payment gateway and CBSubs API) as well as the new Incubator. Watching the jandbeyond videos would definitely help in further understanding our current roadmap.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

• startup
  • startup
  • Add-ons
14 years 4 months ago #135895 by startup
OK. Thanks again!

Moderators: beatnantkrileon