Skip to Content Skip to Menu

OPENSSL not required for PayPal?

• HSOY
  • HSOY
14 years 3 months ago #138296 by HSOY
OPENSSL not required for PayPal? was created by HSOY
I've been told that I don't have to have OPENSSL if I'm accepting payments outside of my site with Paypal. I just wanted to confirm that before I purchase CBSubs because I don't have OPENSSL available on my hosting nor can I have it installed.

Thanks,
Josh

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• krileon
  • krileon
14 years 3 months ago #138320 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re:OPENSSL not required for PayPal?
HSOY wrote:

I've been told that I don't have to have OPENSSL if I'm accepting payments outside of my site with Paypal. I just wanted to confirm that before I purchase CBSubs because I don't have OPENSSL available on my hosting nor can I have it installed.

Thanks,
Josh

OpenSSL is not needed for Paypal, but it is required by CBSubs for making secure API calls. OpenSSL is a requirement of CBSubs, sorry. All of CBsubs exact requirements can be found in this article. OpenSSL should be relatively easy for your host to provide.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

• HSOY
  • HSOY
14 years 2 months ago #138344 by HSOY
Replied by HSOY on topic Re:OPENSSL not required for PayPal?
The requirement to use OPENSSL is a huge negative! I was about ready to purchase CBSubs but now I am forced to go with a different solution. I think that requirement really cuts out a lot of potential customers for you.

I'm a big fan of CB, but I can't ask my client to switch hosting just for CBSubs.

• nant
  • nant
14 years 2 months ago #138351 by nant
Replied by nant on topic Re:OPENSSL not required for PayPal?
HSOY wrote:

The requirement to use OPENSSL is a huge negative! I was about ready to purchase CBSubs but now I am forced to go with a different solution. I think that requirement really cuts out a lot of potential customers for you.

I'm a big fan of CB, but I can't ask my client to switch hosting just for CBSubs.

Almost all hosters I have seen support OPENSSL - even godaddy (nothing negative intended here about Godaddy).

OPENSSL is a must and it is widely used.

OpenSSL is based on the excellent SSLeay library developed by Eric A. Young and Tim J. Hudson. OpenSSL is software that implements the Secure Sockets Layer protocol on our webserver. SSL is a standard that provides encryption for secure connections over the internet.

You can advise your client as you see fit of course, but if your client wants a secure layer around his/her online business, then you should really advise him/her to find a way to be able to use OPENSSL.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon