Skip to Content Skip to Menu

Selling products that require a subscription

• lbeas2
  • lbeas2
13 years 11 months ago #144964 by lbeas2
Hello,

I am building a web site that will offer products that will require a periodic subscription. The customer will purchase our service, which requires us to ship them a product.

And further, the product we provide has a number of optional modules the customer can choose to add which affect the purchase price and recurring fees.

I would like the site to require the customer to establish a basic account first, supplying an email address and password (with email verification) before they can add items to the shopping cart.

Once they have filled their shopping cart, of course we will need shipping information as well as the ability to do credit card billing through Authorize.net.

I am prepared to adjust the above procedures to fit CBSubs work flow. But in general, will CBSubs be a good fit?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• krileon
  • krileon
13 years 11 months ago #144995 by krileon

I am building a web site that will offer products that will require a periodic subscription. The customer will purchase our service, which requires us to ship them a product.

CBSubs is more so designed for subscription management instead of a digital store, Virtuemart would likely be more suited for your needs but CBSubs can certainly do this with you manually handling the shipping needs.

And further, the product we provide has a number of optional modules the customer can choose to add which affect the purchase price and recurring fees.

This is doable by having the product a parent plan and the optional details non-exclusive children plans of that parent plan.

I would like the site to require the customer to establish a basic account first, supplying an email address and password (with email verification) before they can add items to the shopping cart.

Registration process is the same as CB with or without CBSubs so you'll of course be able to provide any sort of registration process whether simple or complex. CBSubs however does NOT have a shopping cart, it's a subscription management system and not a digital store.

Once they have filled their shopping cart, of course we will need shipping information as well as the ability to do credit card billing through Authorize.net.

Again, no shopping cart. CBSubs provides full support for Authorize.net payment gateway. You will need a dedicated IP address and valid SSL certificate.

I am prepared to adjust the above procedures to fit CBSubs work flow. But in general, will CBSubs be a good fit?

In general, yes. The only real aspect missing is shopping cart and shipping costs/management.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

• lbeas2
  • lbeas2
13 years 11 months ago #145000 by lbeas2
(Hoping against hope...) In an ideal world, either CBSubs would offer a shopping cart, or VirtueMart would enable products to require recurring billing.

But what you're saying is that there is no shopping cart (neither native nor by integration) in CBSubs (or any CB plugin or module) where multiple subscription plans can be dropped into a shopping cart and purchased all together?

Can you steer me in the right direction from here?

Thanks

• krileon
  • krileon
13 years 11 months ago #145076 by krileon

But what you're saying is that there is no shopping cart (neither native nor by integration) in CBSubs (or any CB plugin or module) where multiple subscription plans can be dropped into a shopping cart and purchased all together?

No not what I'm saying. You can purchase multiple subscriptions at the same time via our Basket, please don't confuse this with a shopping cart. If the user leaves the page, etc.. the basket will empty after 1 hour. It does not maintain the users selections, doesn't handle quantities, etc.. in the same manner as a shopping cart as one would expect from say Amazon.com. A user can of course select 3-4 plans (if non-exclusive) and purchase all of them at the same time.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon