Skip to Content Skip to Menu

pre-sales questions

• philhfr
  • philhfr
13 years 9 months ago #149189 by philhfr
pre-sales questions was created by philhfr
Hi

We’re looking at building and selling applications to consumers on a SaaS basis – targeting going live with our first couple of apps in Q2 2011. Our target is to sell subscriptions at low value, but to target large numbers of users. Our apps will run on Microsoft Azure cloud platform, whilst for our sales/marketing/admin website, we’re thinking of a separate hosted (not Azure) Joomla site using your CB-Subs extensions with some bespoke code.

We are not sure how far your system will meet our requirements without bespoke coding (and need to assess the level of effort needed for bespoke work). The aim of this post is to try to get an idea of the level of fit we would get with CB-Subs. In summary we need to:
1. Let users register via username/password/emailaddress to get a unique userID
2. Allow registered users to purchase subscriptions to one or more apps on an annual or multi-year basis
3. Support the use of discount vouchers of the forms:
a. 3for2 (3 years for the price of 2)
b. xx%off
c. Special prices for specific campaigns
4. Allow existing subscribers to renew existing subscriptions, add additional storage, or purchase additional apps (ideally via a process that keeps all subscriptions on the same termination date, even if an upgrade is purchased several months after an original subscription)
5. Allow registered users (not necessarily subscribers) to purchase gift vouchers to be delivered electronically as uniquely coded PDF documents
6. Allow the redemption of such vouchers by both new and existing users
7. Automatically email subscribers before their subscription(s) expire (possibly with a discounted offer to renew, e.g. 3for2)
8. Take payments via credit/debit cards (e.g. via PayPal)
9. (All payments will be upfront, no billing nor payments monthly/annually in arrears)

I think that items 1, 2, 4, 7 and 8/9 will be handled by CB-Subs but am keen to know about the back office processes and the data that is held to support he financial transactions. Is there any chance that I could be sent a copy of the user manual before purchasing the CB-Subs software? (I am a CB docs subscriber already).

Do you have any suggestions on how to implement discount and gift vouchers (do you support such vouchers elsewhere)?

Many thanks
Phil Benton

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• krileon
  • krileon
13 years 9 months ago #149230 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re:pre-sales questions

1. Let users register via username/password/emailaddress to get a unique userID

This is already a part of Joomla and CB without the need of CBSubs. Users are required to provide a username, password, and email address. Upon successful registration they're giving a unique User ID.

2. Allow registered users to purchase subscriptions to one or more apps on an annual or multi-year basis

Durations such as 1 day, 1 year, 3 years, etc.. are available for subscriptions. Custom durations are not provided however (can't specify say to expire on June 1st every year). Am not sure what or how your Apps are delivered to users, but if it is through a Joomla extension then CBSubs could certainly protect it in 1 way or another. Please keep in mind CBSubs is NOT a digital store. It is primarily a subscriptions management system.

3. Support the use of discount vouchers of the forms:

Sorry, a coupons system is not yet implemented so discounts in the manner you're wanting is not currently possible.

4. Allow existing subscribers to renew existing subscriptions, add additional storage, or purchase additional apps (ideally via a process that keeps all subscriptions on the same termination date, even if an upgrade is purchased several months after an original subscription)

It's very possible for users to upgrade to a different subscription or renew their existing subscription based off how you've configured your installation.

5. Allow registered users (not necessarily subscribers) to purchase gift vouchers to be delivered electronically as uniquely coded PDF documents

Sorry, no coupon system is present. As for delivery method you could use Docman or CBSubs Email integration to send an email with a coupon code attached, but again no coupon system is present currently.

6. Allow the redemption of such vouchers by both new and existing users

This of course would be the case if a coupon system was present, but again a coupon system is not present currently.

7. Automatically email subscribers before their subscription(s) expire (possibly with a discounted offer to renew, e.g. 3for2)

Currently email in advance is not implemented. Users are emailed directly when their subscription expires (before grace period). We've plans to implement delayed emails.

8. Take payments via credit/debit cards (e.g. via PayPal)

Yes of course Paypal is supported. You can find more information here .

9. (All payments will be upfront, no billing nor payments monthly/annually in arrears)

You can have single payment lifetime subscriptions which are 1 time payments. You can also have single payments with durations, etc.. All payments are instant if using a gateway such as Paypal.

I think that items 1, 2, 4, 7 and 8/9 will be handled by CB-Subs but am keen to know about the back office processes and the data that is held to support he financial transactions. Is there any chance that I could be sent a copy of the user manual before purchasing the CB-Subs software? (I am a CB docs subscriber already).

CBSubs has no "reporting" feature so export of financial data must be done through phpmyadmin for the time being. All payment configuration, etc.. is handled from backend.

Sorry, we do not distribute documentation to non-licensed users. Please keep in mind CBSubs comes with a 30 day money back guarantee if you find CBSubs is not for you.

Do you have any suggestions on how to implement discount and gift vouchers (do you support such vouchers elsewhere)?

It's not possible to implement such a system, CBSubs is encoded. We've plans to add a coupon system in a future release.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon