Skip to Content Skip to Menu

[SOLVED] CBSub and print publication

• dmcole
  • dmcole
13 years 9 months ago - 13 years 8 months ago #151635 by dmcole
[SOLVED] CBSub and print publication was created by dmcole
Hiya:

It's been a long time (the account says almost three years). You guys look like you're doing very well.

I have a client who is the publisher of a print magazine and wants to build an extensive on-line environment, with access-restricted content and differing levels of access to a forum. Obviously, CB and CBSubs is what this client needs.

But the client also wants to automatically give subscribers to the print magazine the same accesses. I don't want to recommend having two databases, so my question is whether anyone has used CBSubs for a print publication. What we would need would be the ability to create mailing labels (name, street address, city, state, Zip and Zip+4, Country) based on current subscription status (will expire in two months, will expire in one month, expired, expired + one month, etc.). Ideally, the output would be a PDF file, but a standard CSV would work as well.

Has anybody ever done this with CBSubs? If not, is the data kept in the MySQL file in such a way that we could write our own backend against it to produce these reports?

Thanks.

\dmc

\dmc
Last edit: 13 years 8 months ago by krileon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• krileon
  • krileon
13 years 8 months ago #151752 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re: CBSub and print publication

But the client also wants to automatically give subscribers to the print magazine the same accesses. I don't want to recommend having two databases, so my question is whether anyone has used CBSubs for a print publication. What we would need would be the ability to create mailing labels (name, street address, city, state, Zip and Zip+4, Country) based on current subscription status (will expire in two months, will expire in one month, expired, expired + one month, etc.). Ideally, the output would be a PDF file, but a standard CSV would work as well.

CBSubs can't do this. Best approach I can suggest is querying the subscriptions database table with a custom extension to output the results in a format you're wanting then print those results. Clearly would need to custom develop the extension or hire someone to do it, but it's doable.

If you're using an external service to handle storage of the publications and it has an accessible database you could also use CBSubs SQL Actions to add users to that database as External database queries are supported.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

• dmcole
  • dmcole
13 years 8 months ago #151763 by dmcole
Replied by dmcole on topic Re: CBSub and print publication

krileon wrote: Best approach I can suggest is querying the subscriptions database table with a custom extension to output the results in a format you're wanting then print those results. Clearly would need to custom develop the extension or hire someone to do it, but it's doable.

I can probably write this myself. Does your documentation explain the MySQL fields you use in the subscriptions database?

Thanks.

\dmc

• krileon
  • krileon
13 years 8 months ago #152010 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re: CBSub and print publication

I can probably write this myself. Does your documentation explain the MySQL fields you use in the subscriptions database?

No, you'll need to examine the database and formulate a query to do as you're needing.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

• beat
  • beat
13 years 8 months ago #152181 by beat
Replied by beat on topic Re: CBSub and print publication

krileon wrote:

No, you'll need to examine the database and formulate a query to do as you're needing.

Welcome back :)
True, but I need to note the database is very self-explanatory, logically designed in cleartext :)

So exporting or syncing (e.g. with the built in SQL integrations, or SOAP/XML/URL integrations plugin) with an external database or htttp system can be done without huge effort.

E.g. We use it here to give access to our Forge Redmine server Incubator group to Professional Members, using a stored MySQL procedure on the forge server, and it works really well, fully automated. :)

Beat - Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info

• dmcole
  • dmcole
13 years 8 months ago #152671 by dmcole
Replied by dmcole on topic Re: CBSub and print publication

beat wrote: Welcome back :)
True, but I need to note the database is very self-explanatory, logically designed in cleartext :)

Beat:

Thanks for the welcome.

I knew the db would be logically designed -- you guys did it -- but I'm happy to know it's also in cleartext.

\dmc

Moderators: beatnantkrileon