Skip to Content Skip to Menu

CBSubs Folder Protection and Time Period Content

• crashedfx
  • crashedfx
13 years 5 months ago #163124 by crashedfx
Hello,

I've read in the Features that you can protect up to 5 folders with CBSubs component. We're currently using AEC and it has a .htaccess micro integrator which can update .htaccess/.htuser files with proper user/pass information when user registers or changes his credentials. Problem is that every time user opens an article that for example contains a picture from protected directory, browser pops up a HTTP Authorization box asking for user/pass again. Does CBSubs work in the same way? Or you guys found a nice way around it?

I know that the chance is very slim that somebody found a way to do automatic HTTP authentication for logged users - but one can still hope! I've tried for a longest time to find a way around it, tried to look for apache modules like mod_auth_cookie and things of such sort... But no luck. Especially since mod_auth_cookie is no longer supported, i guess there was some security issue that never got solved.

Ok and second question is... (Just theoretically! I know it sounds silly in a way, but i was asked if this is possible, so i gotta find out.)

This project of mine is being planned for a digital magazine, and we would like users to have access to it with paid subscription. But when user subscribes is there way to limit access of the user with CBSubs only to content which was published to the website during his period of subscription? So let's say one issue contains 10-15 articles with some audio and video clips on them, and each month new issue is being published. When user signs up for a year, there is 5 issues published before he subscribed, is there way to make sure that user gets access only to content that was published during his subscription period? And if user would want to get access to previously published content, he would have an option where he could pay little extra fee and be able to see previously published content too?

Oh and one last thing... I assume CBSubs work with PayPal Web Payments Standard as well as PayPal Web Payments Professional (if needed)?

Thanks guys, i appreciate the feed back!

Cheers!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• krileon
  • krileon
13 years 5 months ago #163626 by krileon

I've read in the Features that you can protect up to 5 folders with CBSubs component. We're currently using AEC and it has a .htaccess micro integrator which can update .htaccess/.htuser files with proper user/pass information when user registers or changes his credentials. Problem is that every time user opens an article that for example contains a picture from protected directory, browser pops up a HTTP Authorization box asking for user/pass again. Does CBSubs work in the same way? Or you guys found a nice way around it?

CBSubs does not work even remotely in the same manner. We use a series of API to control elements safely. We do provide a folder access protection integration however if you want htaccess protection.

This project of mine is being planned for a digital magazine, and we would like users to have access to it with paid subscription. But when user subscribes is there way to limit access of the user with CBSubs only to content which was published to the website during his period of subscription? So let's say one issue contains 10-15 articles with some audio and video clips on them, and each month new issue is being published. When user signs up for a year, there is 5 issues published before he subscribed, is there way to make sure that user gets access only to content that was published during his subscription period? And if user would want to get access to previously published content, he would have an option where he could pay little extra fee and be able to see previously published content too?

No, CBSubs protection of articles is not timed. If the users subscription is active then they have access to the content regardless of its publish date. You could however have a subscription plan for quarterly articles. For example Plan 1 gives access to Q1, Plan 2 gives access to Q2, etc.. You could then have a Joomla article section for each quarter and publish articles to those sections as necessary.

Oh and one last thing... I assume CBSubs work with PayPal Web Payments Standard as well as PayPal Web Payments Professional (if needed)?

CBSubs works with PayPal, but it does not work with PayPal Pro.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

• crashedfx
  • crashedfx
13 years 5 months ago #163774 by crashedfx
Hello Kyle,

Thanks for your response! I appreciate you taking time to write me. However i didn't understand the first response... So how does folder protection work exactly? So lets say i have "/restricted_videos" or "/restricted_images" folder in my joomla installation, and i want to protect it's content... How does CBSubs protect that folder? (Sorry i'm kinda slow! I wouldn't bother asking for details unless it was a very important key point for me!)

Second part i totally get, i didn't expect it to work like that, but i kinda hoped it might have been possible without custom coding. So thanks for your answer, info assimilated 100% :) hehe

Thanks for your time Kyle,

Anton

• krileon
  • krileon
13 years 5 months ago #163798 by krileon

Thanks for your response! I appreciate you taking time to write me. However i didn't understand the first response... So how does folder protection work exactly? So lets say i have "/restricted_videos" or "/restricted_images" folder in my joomla installation, and i want to protect it's content... How does CBSubs protect that folder? (Sorry i'm kinda slow! I wouldn't bother asking for details unless it was a very important key point for me!)

CBSubs typically protects a Joomla install on a component access level or URL based level. Meaning you would protect whatever accesses those folders instead of those folders directly. However, you can protect those folders directly using our Folder Access integration (provided with CBSubs package), which will use htaccess protection. You simply specify the path to those folders when configuring the integration via your plans. This would result in an authentication login dialog prompted when a user attempts to access those folders (whether through PHP or by directly navigating to them).

Second part i totally get, i didn't expect it to work like that, but i kinda hoped it might have been possible without custom coding. So thanks for your answer, info assimilated 100% hehe

The timed content can be done to an extent using IF substitutions in combination of incubator project CB Content Bot which allows usage of substitutions in articles. You could provide a substitution surrounding the content of your article checking subscription time against article time (you'd need to add date of subscription to a field with CBSubs Fields or using incubator project CB Query Field so it can be used in substitutions).

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon