Skip to Content Skip to Menu

Recurring payments with credit cards

13 years 4 months ago - 13 years 4 months ago #166057 by davidchilderley
Recurring payments with credit cards was created by davidchilderley
Hi

I have implemented cbsubs (version 1.1.2) utilizing PayPal as the payment gateway for a UK based membership site.

On the previous platform approx 50% of the members were on a plan with recurring monthly payments via credit cards. I anticipated that the risk of asking people to sign up again would be too high, so the old site is kept up and running for managing the old credit card subscriptions. Cancellations are manually executed in cbsubs, and new sign ups (PayPal) are handled through the regular cbsubs process.

The problem I see now is that we get only approx 50% of new sign ups per week compared to what used to be on the old site. I have a strong suspicion that this is partially due to the lack of a pure credit card gateway like Ogone or Authorize.net. PayPal only accepts single payments through their credit card solution. For recurring to kick in you need to create aPayPal account. And it seems that many potential members to the site do not feel comfortable with what they perceive as a complicated sign up process.

I would love to provide a credit card payment gateway, but I also think that it is crucial to have recurring payments. If not many customers will sign up for a month, and then they will not renew manually.

Authorize.net and Ogone support recurring credit card payments, but it seems that this function has only been implemented for Authorize.net in cbsubs, and not for Ogone.

Authorize.net, however, only accepts US customers, so that is not an option for the site in question.

What is the recommended solution to provide recurring credit card payments for a UK based company without putting PayPal into the mix?

Thank you in advance
Last edit: 13 years 4 months ago by davidchilderley.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• krileon
  • krileon
13 years 4 months ago #167226 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re: Recurring payments with credit cards
CBSubs 1.2 has auto recurring payments implemented into Ogone now. PayPal does not support auto recurring without a PayPal account; this is not a limitation set by us, but a limitation of PayPal. In most cases users will use single payments or prefer single payments over recurring; so shouldn't be an issue for your customers. Initial turn over when switching to a new system is generally slow so your statistics could vary until the userbase is more comfortable/familiar with the usage. Being PayPal is used very often and very widely known it should not be an issue for your users.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.
The following user(s) said Thank You: davidchilderley

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon