Skip to Content Skip to Menu

Will CB + CBSubs do this for me?

• TBDESP
  • TBDESP
13 years 3 months ago #167777 by TBDESP
Will CB + CBSubs do this for me? was created by TBDESP
I am pretty sure I will need one or more extra extensions beyond a basic CB+CBSubs and Joomla site. I want to know if CB+CBSubs can in any way work with what I want to do (below), and if any existing extensions are known which will do as I desire.

I would like to use extensions like CB/CBSubs/whatever else is needed to make a custom ad system on a Joomla site. Here's what I wish to do...

1) have multiple member categories (some paid, some free)
2) members of each different category has a different profile (different info/fields, different look, etc.)
3) members of specific categories can post articles from the front end to a specific section/category
3.a) EITHER members can only post one article at a time (posting a second only after the first one is deleted or archived) and the pay a subscription fee per day/week/month ~OR~ members can post unlimited articles, but must pay per article posted, with no time-based subscription
3.b) a copy of the author's profile is included at the top or bottom (or inset in the side, etc.) of any article the author posts.
3.c) when searching for an article, the search is actually performed on profile fields of the author(s) - as an example, one field may be 'location' or 'zip code', and searching for all ads within X miles of a zip code returns articles posted by all authors in the specified locale... another example would be if I have a custom field 'products' in the profile, searching for all ads including 'games' would return articles posted by all authors with 'games' in their 'products' field...
3.d) all articles should automatically be archived at a set interval (either after 24 hours, every day at midnight, etc.)
4) all members can view said articles but not edit them (only the original author can edit their own article)
5) least important but still desired; I would like to have the ads displayed as in a category blog layout, but with the author's profile image (avatar) followed by the title of the article as the image's caption or subtext.

All of this, plus 'normal' articles (created by admin in the backend only), as well as forums, chat, banners, etc. on the site.

So, what aspects of the above can CB+CBSubs help me with, what can it not help me with, and does anything exist which can help me to do all of the above?

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• TBDESP
  • TBDESP
13 years 3 months ago #167847 by TBDESP
Replied by TBDESP on topic Re: Will CB + CBSubs do this for me?
Normally wouldn't bump a thread this soon, but since another thread was posted after this, and answered by a mod... well; :bump:

• nant
  • nant
13 years 3 months ago #167850 by nant
Replied by nant on topic Re: Will CB + CBSubs do this for me?

TBDESP wrote: 1) have multiple member categories (some paid, some free)

With CBSubs you can have free and paid subscription plans.
Sorry the term multiple member categories means nothing to me.

2) members of each different category has a different profile (different info/fields, different look, etc.)

With CBSubs plans you can hide/show CB fields/tabs based on plan subscriptions. The profile look changes in this respect.

3) members of specific categories can post articles from the front end to a specific section/category

I guess you can use CBSubs to make subscribers authors and allow them to submit content. Perhaps you can also use K2 here. Not sure you can do everything you want though.

3.a) EITHER members can only post one article at a time (posting a second only after the first one is deleted or archived) and the pay a subscription fee per day/week/month ~OR~ members can post unlimited articles, but must pay per article posted, with no time-based subscription

No, CBSubs does not add features to existing extensions. There is no pay per article functionality - a new integration would need to be coded.

3.b) a copy of the author's profile is included at the top or bottom (or inset in the side, etc.) of any article the author posts.

You would need a Joomla plugin to do this. The JED might have one. K2 I believe has CB integration to link author back to CB profile.

3.c) when searching for an article, the search is actually performed on profile fields of the author(s) - as an example, one field may be 'location' or 'zip code', and searching for all ads within X miles of a zip code returns articles posted by all authors in the specified locale... another example would be if I have a custom field 'products' in the profile, searching for all ads including 'games' would return articles posted by all authors with 'games' in their 'products' field...

Nothing like this exists in CB/CBSubs. You would need to code a Joomla plugin for this.

3.d) all articles should automatically be archived at a set interval (either after 24 hours, every day at midnight, etc.)

No idea is such a Joomla feature/extension exists.

4) all members can view said articles but not edit them (only the original author can edit their own article)

I believe you can do this with both Joomla and K2.

5) least important but still desired; I would like to have the ads displayed as in a category blog layout, but with the author's profile image (avatar) followed by the title of the article as the image's caption or subtext.

Ads? Sorry not clear about this. Not a CB/CBSubs feature for sure.

All of this, plus 'normal' articles (created by admin in the backend only), as well as forums, chat, banners, etc. on the site.

You would need to find extra extensions: forum, chat, etc. See JED.

So, what aspects of the above can CB+CBSubs help me with, what can it not help me with, and does anything exist which can help me to do all of the above?

Thanks!

Responded as best I could.

Please do not bump. Some posts like yours are more involved so they take longer to reply to - plus its a weekend...

• TBDESP
  • TBDESP
13 years 3 months ago #167857 by TBDESP
Replied by TBDESP on topic Re: Will CB + CBSubs do this for me?
Thank you for the reply... I will refrain from bumping further; at the moment it seems CB+CBSubs might not be what I am looking for; but I will wait and see if anyone else has more input!

• nant
  • nant
13 years 3 months ago #167875 by nant
Replied by nant on topic Re: Will CB + CBSubs do this for me?

TBDESP wrote: Thank you for the reply... I will refrain from bumping further; at the moment it seems CB+CBSubs might not be what I am looking for; but I will wait and see if anyone else has more input!

That's fine - perhaps Kyle will add to this thread on Monday.

But I have to be honest, CBSubs does not magically add features to other extensions. So for example, if a content submission extensions (Joomla or K2) does not have a number of content articles restriction per user feature, CBSubs cannot add it. But if it does exist, then CBSubs can take advantage of it and specify the number of articles allowed for a specific user based on the CBSubs subscription plan.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon