Skip to Content Skip to Menu

Creating a Paid Directory Site... will this work?

13 years 1 month ago #175653 by hockey2112
Hello,

I am creating a paid directory website built on Joomla 1.7 and am ready to purchase whichever Joomlapolis components are necessary to achieve the functionality I outline below. Can anyone tell me if this is possible with CB and CB Subs?

1. I will have two types of users: User A and User B.

2. I want User A to be able to search and view the User B members to find profiles for User B members in their area or meeting any other criteria they search for, but I do not want User A to be able to search or view the User A member list or profiles.

I want User B to be able to search and view the User A members to find profiles for User B members in their area or meeting any other criteria they search for, but I do not want User A to be able to search or view the User A member list or profiles.

Both user types should be able to search for people in the other group based on various custom fields.

3. I also need a geo/regional search function that will allow the searcher to search for members within 5/20/50 miles of the zip code they provide in the search. This is a feature that we absolutely need.

4. I want User A's membership to be free, but I want to charge the User B members a monthly fee.

5. I want User B members to be able to rate the User A members (preferably using stars) and comment on that rating. User A members also be able to rate User B members. It would be great if the aggregated ratings could cause User A to rise in the overall rankings of the User A user type category; the same goes for User B members. In either case, the ratings system shown on this page is sort of what I am looking for: ( www.joomlapolis.com/cb-solutions/directory/community-building/searching/zippostal-code-radius-search )

6. I want User A to be able to apply to do business with User B's company. Ideally, User A would submit that application online to User B and a record of that application would be saved in both User A's and User B's profiles... I'd imagine this would be something that would have to be handled by a different plugin, but I thought I should ask just in case.

7. I want public viewers of the website to be able to see that there are (let's say) 25 People in the User A group and 50 people in the User B group, but not allow them to see the details of who is in each group without first registering with our website.

8. I am considering using Proma to designate different templates to the User A and User B groups, but I am open to other suggestions on how to achieve that functionality.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated! Please feel free to describe or link to any components that would help us to achieve this functionality. We are ready to move on this project once we know what CB and CB Subs (and other plugins) can and cannot handle.

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• nant
  • nant
13 years 1 month ago #175667 by nant

hockey2112 wrote: Hello,

I am creating a paid directory website built on Joomla 1.7 and am ready to purchase whichever Joomlapolis components are necessary to achieve the functionality I outline below. Can anyone tell me if this is possible with CB and CB Subs?

Will try to respond to as many as possible.

1. I will have two types of users: User A and User B.

CB/CBSubs can be used. Each "type" will be a subscription to a different CBSubs plan. You can also set a "protected" CB field to indicate each type in CB (using CBSubs CB Fields integration plugin).

2. I want User A to be able to search and view the User B members to find profiles for User B members in their area or meeting any other criteria they search for, but I do not want User A to be able to search or view the User A member list or profiles.

Just use the previous CB field to create user list containing type-B users. This list will be searchable for everyone (so user-A types will be able to see and search user-B types through this list).

I want User B to be able to search and view the User A members to find profiles for User B members in their area or meeting any other criteria they search for, but I do not want User A to be able to search or view the User A member list or profiles.

Create other userlists containing both A and B members and only allow user-B members to view this (you can use CBSubs URL-parts protection to do this).

Both user types should be able to search for people in the other group based on various custom fields.

See previous responses.

3. I also need a geo/regional search function that will allow the searcher to search for members within 5/20/50 miles of the zip code they provide in the search. This is a feature that we absolutely need.

You would have to find and install such a plugin - I believe they exist - search JED.

4. I want User A's membership to be free, but I want to charge the User B members a monthly fee.

No problem with CBSubs.

5. I want User B members to be able to rate the User A members (preferably using stars) and comment on that rating. User A members also be able to rate User B members. It would be great if the aggregated ratings could cause User A to rise in the overall rankings of the User A user type category; the same goes for User B members. In either case, the ratings system shown on this page is sort of what I am looking for: ( www.joomlapolis.com/cb-solutions/directory/community-building/searching/zippostal-code-radius-search )

You can use the rating field type available to Advanced and Professional members to create such a field. And you can yous CBSubs field protection to only allow type-B members to see this rating field on type-A member profiles.
You can use this rating field to sort a user list so higher ranked type-A users appear first.

6. I want User A to be able to apply to do business with User B's company. Ideally, User A would submit that application online to User B and a record of that application would be saved in both User A's and User B's profiles... I'd imagine this would be something that would have to be handled by a different plugin, but I thought I should ask just in case.

Yup different plugin is needed. Perhaps GroupJive (available to Advanced and Professional members can be used). Type-B members can create a doing-business-with-me group and type-A members can become members of those groups.

7. I want public viewers of the website to be able to see that there are (let's say) 25 People in the User A group and 50 people in the User B group, but not allow them to see the details of who is in each group without first registering with our website.

This could be a simple module that just queries the comprofiler table and returns filtered counts as needed. You might be able to find something like this on the JED already - if not it would be a fairly simple job for any Joomla developer.

8. I am considering using Proma to designate different templates to the User A and User B groups, but I am open to other suggestions on how to achieve that functionality.

No experience with this - I recall PROMA changes ACL groups - I would avoid such an extension - not needed with CBSubs.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated! Please feel free to describe or link to any components that would help us to achieve this functionality. We are ready to move on this project once we know what CB and CB Subs (and other plugins) can and cannot handle.

Thanks!

Did the best I could.
Its a learning experience - I believe most of the building blocks are in place.
You can take advantage of the 30-Day no questions asked first purchase policy for CBSubs license and test things for yourself.

13 years 1 month ago - 13 years 1 month ago #175825 by hockey2112
Nick,

Thanks so much for taking the time to answer my questions so thoroughly! I have just one new question and one follow-up question that I can think of right now...

We would like to be able to offer paid "banner ads" using certain fields from the User B profile for User B users who pay for that service. For instance, it would be a box in a sidebar showing the User B company name, their email address, and other custom fields we add to the User B CB profiles. Is that possible?

Regarding the Rating Type Field, I see that it supports a star rating type of function. Does it also allow the reviewer/rater to type a review that will show up along with their star rating of that other user's profile?

Thanks again!

Sorry, one more question... We want to automatically charge our User B members monthly via credit card. Does CBSubs do that out of the box, or would we need to also purchase the license for CBSubs CB Subscriptions plugin?
Last edit: 13 years 1 month ago by hockey2112.

• nant
  • nant
13 years 1 month ago #175827 by nant

hockey2112 wrote: Nick,

Thanks so much for taking the time to answer my questions so thoroughly! I have just one new question and one follow-up question that I can think of right now...

We would like to be able to offer paid "banner ads" using certain fields from the User B profile for User B users who pay for that service. For instance, it would be a box in a sidebar showing the User B company name, their email address, and other custom fields we add to the User B CB profiles. Is that possible?

Well, you can do a lot with delimiter fields, but I would look for a banners component first.

Regarding the Rating Type Field, I see that it supports a star rating type of function. Does it also allow the reviewer/rater to type a review that will show up along with their star rating of that other user's profile?

No, the rating field does not have a review.
You might want to look at CB Profilebook - where users can post and rate at the same time.

Sorry, one more question... We want to automatically charge our User B members monthly via credit card. Does CBSubs do that out of the box, or would we need to also purchase the license for CBSubs CB Subscriptions plugin?

Yes CBSubs (license needed) supports auto-recurring payments with Paypal, Authorize.net, Ogone and 2CheckOut payment organizations.

13 years 1 month ago #175993 by hockey2112
That all sounds fantastic.

The User B usertype will have more fields than the User A usertype will. Is it possible to have the user select their plan first (User A or B) and then have the registration form after that, and have that registration form show the additional fields if they chose the User B option(s) (or hide the additional fields if they chose the User A option(s)? Or can you think of any other good way to accomplish this?

I suppose it would also be acceptable to have custom fields available for the User B profiles that they can fill in after completing their registration and payment, but I would definitely prefer to have all of the info collected during registration.

Thanks again!

• nant
  • nant
13 years 1 month ago #176037 by nant

hockey2112 wrote: That all sounds fantastic.

The User B usertype will have more fields than the User A usertype will. Is it possible to have the user select their plan first (User A or B) and then have the registration form after that, and have that registration form show the additional fields if they chose the User B option(s) (or hide the additional fields if they chose the User A option(s)? Or can you think of any other good way to accomplish this?

Yes, the registration form can have the plan selection on top and depending on the plan selected field will hide or show. You can also have an article or splash page with plan selections that will take the user to the relevant registration form (with preselected plan).

Moderators: beatnantkrileon