Skip to Content Skip to Menu

Pre sales question

12 years 11 months ago #182942 by oorzaak@oorzaak.nl
Pre sales question was created by oorzaak@oorzaak.nl
Hi there,

I'm investigating CB after I ran into some limitations with JomSocial. I need the following functionality, can anyone tell me if this is available for Community Builder:

- set up a custom profile page template for all users;
- include custom fields for use in this template;
- assign a WYSIWYG text editor (preferably JCE) to one of the custom fields (which should be a text area, obviously);
- create one or more custom fields which should link to uploaded files of the Word/pdf type (for adding a resume to the user profile);
- of course, some file management for both the resume files and images which can be inserted using the WYSIWYG editor; file management should be restricted to the user's own folder only.

I hope someone can tell me about the possibilities in CB regarding these options which we - at present - cannot implement using JS.

With kind regards,

Frits

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• nant
  • nant
12 years 11 months ago #182943 by nant
Replied by nant on topic Re: Pre sales question
[mod note: moved to presales forum area]

• bhesketh
  • bhesketh
12 years 10 months ago #183167 by bhesketh
Replied by bhesketh on topic Re: Pre sales question
Judging by the response from the "Professional" "Administrator" I can only assume there is no answer. Instead of answering a simple question, it's avoided because the answer is no. I have been looking for weeks on ways to implement a custom template. I even signed up for the professional membership which I thought would grant me access to at least one template but it does not. Templates are extra $$$. All I'd like to do is make my own template and not rely on the assumptions made by the author(s) of this wonderful package as to how I'll be using plugins.

• nant
  • nant
12 years 10 months ago #183171 by nant

oorzaak@oorzaak.nl wrote: Hi there,

I'm investigating CB after I ran into some limitations with JomSocial. I need the following functionality, can anyone tell me if this is available for Community Builder:

Address your questions/issues below ...

- set up a custom profile page template for all users;

CB has 6 built-in templates that you can select from.
You can create your own custom CB template also if you are css skilled.
We have 3 extra templates that you can purchase that include both Joomla and CB template.

- include custom fields for use in this template;

Not sure I understand the question. With CB you can add fields and tabs and these will appear on your CB user profile.

- assign a WYSIWYG text editor (preferably JCE) to one of the custom fields (which should be a text area, obviously);

CB has a number of built-in field-types. One of these is the editor fieldtype which will give you an HTML editor field area. Certain html tags are stripped as a security measure (configurable).

- create one or more custom fields which should link to uploaded files of the Word/pdf type (for adding a resume to the user profile);

CB field types can be added as CB plugins. Advanced/Professional membership provide a file field plugin that you can install and then create a file field to place on your user profiles.

- of course, some file management for both the resume files and images which can be inserted using the WYSIWYG editor; file management should be restricted to the user's own folder only.

Thinking that maybe using JCE supported file handling would be appropriate here?

I hope someone can tell me about the possibilities in CB regarding these options which we - at present - cannot implement using JS.

With kind regards,

Frits

Hopefully you have a better understanding now.

• nant
  • nant
12 years 10 months ago #183173 by nant

bhesketh wrote: Judging by the response from the "Professional" "Administrator" I can only assume there is no answer. Instead of answering a simple question, it's avoided because the answer is no. I have been looking for weeks on ways to implement a custom template. I even signed up for the professional membership which I thought would grant me access to at least one template but it does not. Templates are extra $$$. All I'd like to do is make my own template and not rely on the assumptions made by the author(s) of this wonderful package as to how I'll be using plugins.

Fact: the presales question was posted yesterday. A delayed response here only means that our efforts have been focused on other support areas. Nothing was avoided.

Thank you for your support as a professional member.

Sorry you assumed that Professional membership includes templates.
Our memberships comparison table here:
www.joomlapolis.com/memberships does not indicate this. Please tell us how you came to this assumption and we will make things clearer if possible,

As a Professional member one of the benefits you are given is that you can post to the Professional support area here:

www.joomlapolis.com/forum/153-professional-member-support

Our team will answer your questions on a same/next business day response time basis.

Suggest you take advantage of this benefit instead of posting on other threads in other areas.

If you are capable (graphics, css, etc.) of creating your own template then you can look at our built-in ones and modify to create your own.

12 years 10 months ago #183742 by oorzaak@oorzaak.nl
Replied by oorzaak@oorzaak.nl on topic Re: Pre sales question
Hi Nant,

Thanks for your answers. Seems to me that switching to CB could solve some of the problems which I'm facing now. I'm going to do a little test on a local Joomla setup.

Frits

Moderators: beatnantkrileon