Skip to Content Skip to Menu

Open or Closed Source on CB Subs & others

• MaxTech
  • MaxTech
12 years 8 months ago #189704 by MaxTech
Looking at using CB as our main community platform for client sites.

When asking around I have been told that perhaps CB Subs (& other??) CB extensions/solutions/plugins/addons may be closed source.

I am looking at signing up as a developer, as I am using the programs on client sites - with this being the case I would usually expect to be able to customise/modify to client requirements.

Could you please clarify the above, as I can't find anything to confirm/deny the Open/Closed source status of all your products.

Thanks,

Max

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• beat
  • beat
12 years 8 months ago #189753 by beat
HI Max,
Here is current status, as indicated on each of or solutions pages, in more details:

- All our Joomla extensions are open-source under the GPL.

- All our CB plugins are open-source under the GPL and available under yearly membership plans for download and for upgrades, with only one exception.

- The only exception is CBSubs (which is not a Joomla extension but a CB Plugin) and is licensed under its own license on a per-site basis and with low yearly maintenance fee or with a lifetime maintenance. CBSubs's source is protected for all parts involved with payment security (ioncube-encrypted source with anti-tampering checks), but all parts which are needed for display customizations for display (the Viewer part of its MVC) are in full source code, non-encrypted for templating purposes, and can be overridden by CB's or by your Joomla template.

Additionally, the URL and SQL integration plugins allow you to integrate any database or PHP code in the membership events.

Also the Joomla CBSubs module is GPL and full source code, so that status indications can be customized as well.

That said CBSubs has many many, I mean many (the manual is over 400 pages long for CBSubs 1.2.2, and a lot more for upcoming CBSubs 1.3) parameters for almost infinite possibilities.

If you need to know what you can change or not, best is to buy a CBSubs license and take a look at the possibilities of parametering. CBSubs comes at no risk with a 30-days money-back guarantee.

Hope that clarifies a bit the current licenses. If you have any questions regarding the licenses, you are welcome to contact us using the contact form at bottom of each page.

Beat - Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info

• MaxTech
  • MaxTech
12 years 8 months ago #189864 by MaxTech
Replied by MaxTech on topic Re: Open or Closed Source on CB Subs & others
Thanks Beat.

Good detailed response - muchly appreciated.

Cheers!!

Moderators: beatnantkrileon